2.4

-

Late that night, much to my dismay, we ended up at the Cullen residence. After begging Sam to get out of patrol duty just this once, I stood in the Cullens livingroom. My senses were a bit overwhelmed and on edge .

"Who is it?"

"This stranger...I didn't recognize his scent." Edward announced.

"Me either." I stood in the doorway, feeling very out of place.

"A nomad passing through?"

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bellas father alive..." Rosalie objected.

"Scent disappeared about five miles south of Bellas house." Emmet and Jasper walked in. I met his gaze, looking away just as fast.

Everyone went silent for a minute, unsure of what to say.

"Someone's orchestrating this." Carlisle sighed, standing from the couch.

"That vampire we've been hunting?" I suggested.

"Victoria." Bella agreed.

"I would've seen her decide." Alice denied. I ran a hand down my face, wanting nothing more than for all of this to end.

"It has to be the Volturi." Edward shook his head.

"The volt-vulture- huh?" I questioned.

"A group of powerful vampires from Italy...they make the rules." Alice explained briefly, "And I don't think it's the them either...I've been watching Aro's decisions too."

"We'll have to keep looking."

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bellas house." Carlisle stated.

Rosalie gave Carlisle an annoyed look, voicing her displeasure "Another protection detail?"

"Considering it's your guys fault that she's wrapped up in all of this in the first place, I'd say that's pretty fair." I huffed, "Don't you think?"

"I wasn't talking to you, mutt." She said in disgust.

"I'll show you mutt." I scoffed, stepping forward.

"Calm down." Jasper spoke up with his eyes now trained on me. I felt my body relax unwillingly, but that did nothing to the rage that I wanted to feel at the moment.

"Rosalie." Edward scolded.

"Don't do that." I warned him, keeping eye contact until someone cleared their throat "I'll talk to the pack, we can help."

"No, Rosalie's right." Bella swallowed "I mean you can't protect me, watch my dad, and search for the intruder."

She did have a good point. Plus, they still needed to hunt and feed.

"And keep yourselves fed."

"And hunt for Victoria." Rosalie nodded in satisfaction.

Man, did I wanna rip the blonde hair from her scalp.

"I'm not leaving you defenseless." Edward objected.

"I'm not gonna let you starve. And Athenas right, I wouldn't be unprotected. I- I have..."

"What?" He looked as if he already hated whatever was gonna come out of her mouth.

"You're not gonna like this." I chuckled, turning my head and hiding my amused grin.

After that, Carlisle offered to let me stay the night since it was late- but I turned down his offer, assuming Sam would have a fit if he found out I skipped patrol to spend the night with the Cullens. I had Edward and Bella bring me home, but not before I turned to the group of Cullens.