Chapter 47

Another update in honor of May the Fourth, and to celebrate the new Obi-Wan Kenobi trailer

Another update in honor of May the Fourth, and to celebrate the new Obi-Wan Kenobi trailer. The two immages up here are some of my notes on either Kriari or the timeline of the story. 

Chapter 47

Anakin Skywalker considered himself a good General. He cared for his troops and their wellbeing and every single loss his company might have weighed on him heavily. He and his former master were among the more unconventional Jedi Knights due to their empathy and compassion. Anakin thought that they would be the only ones after Master Qi Gon died. That is until he met Ahsoka, though he couldn't fault her for it, she was still just a child in many ways.

Kriari Foreas was a surprise to him though. The Padawan carried herself as if she knew exactly where her place in the galaxy was, and was wise beyond her years in many aspects. But very much like himself, she left herself vulnerable to her attachments. Anakin refused to see his love for his wife and friends as a weakness that could be exploited, and if anything Obi-Wan had told him was true, Kriari did so too.

He wasn't surprised she had been assigned to Obi-Wan, after all his former master was an exceedingly compassionate person at times. Being able to love others and have attachments without turning to the dark side was extremely difficult. Even he had a lot of trouble managing sometimes.

Anakin was glad there were more Jedi like them in the order, a life without love and connection was not a life worth living in his eyes. So when Kriari stood up to him and Master Unduli when their plan took many lives for granted, he was glad. He would never admit so, but his plans tended to not consider the cost their actions would have. And to have someone add to his plans without taking away the edge made him glad. Ahsoka was lucky to have such a friend.

Even if she had been raised by the Tuskens.

Anakin didn't know how to feel about that little detail just yet, but for now he would let Kriari's actions speak for her.

...

"So, what do you have for us, Commander?" Asked Waxer as Kriari approached what was left of the 212th.

Kriari stood at the front of his battalion, pulled up a holomap and turned her comm on the 212th frequency so everyone could hear her.

"The plan is rather simple, gentlemen. Commanders Tano and Offee will sneak into the factory through the underground catacombs and plant bombs on the main reactor to blow it up from the inside. It will be our job to keep Poggle and his new toys occupied." She explained as she pointed at each part of the holomap.

"Generals Skywalker and Unduli will lead the charge through the middle road to get said attention on us. There will be little to no cover and the structures to the sides of the road could potentially hold ambushes. That is where we come in. Our job is to bring the rear and guard our backs so the rest of them can focus on the enemy ahead."

Kriari waited for anyone to raise any objections, questions or suggestions. When that didn't happen, she continued.

"It is a risky assignment gentlemen, so I will take any suggestions of guerrilla tactics against ambushes, but before then, let me tell you the plan..."

...

Boil was convinced he had the best Commander on the GAR. His brothers on the 501st could say whatever they liked about Tano, but he doubted the kid could be as compassionate and thorough as Commander Foreas. She had not only seen holes in the Generals' strategy, but she had also pushed to have them covered for the sake of their troops. It wasn't the first time it had happened, and it wouldn't be the last. But it was the first time she did it without consulting her General about it.

He was convinced something had changed when she came back from her undercover mission. When she came back into the field after her "teaching job" at the temple, she stopped talking to other Jedi so much and started creating more bonds with the clones instead. Not that she'd had many Jedi acquaintances, but rumor had it that she no longer had a place at the temple. Ahsoka was her only friend aside from her Masters, and every time she interacted with a member of the Jedi Council, there was a certain frostiness to the exchange.

Boil hadn't been the only one to notice either, the entire battalion had their suspicions.

Kriari continued to show them all just how far she was willing to go to keep them as safe as she could, and they could all see it. Even if they couldn't acknowledge or thank her for it. That was the reason why both battalions under her would risk it all for anything she did or said: because they knew she had their best interests in mind at all times.

So now, half the 212th troops were hiding among the rocky formations while the rest marched down the road bringing up the rearguard. The aim was to identify and take out any ambushes before they happened. Geonosians lived either underground or inside the rock formations scattered across the planet, so it would be outright stupid to ignore the equivalent to buildings in a planet that was trying to resist an invasion.

Kriari herself was the last person marching down the road, her Force sensitivity would allow her to warn the troops of an ambush before it started, and she was also the best shield they could ask for right after a shield generator.

Waxer, Boil and TH had taken three teams of the best men left and scattered across the rocks in search of the hidden natives. Someone had asked what they should do if they found civilians inside those formations. Kriari's answer was simple: their lives were the most important thing to preserve. If they were attacked, they should defend themselves. If they were not provoked they were to leave the civilians be. Not that anyone believed there would be any civilians left in an active warzone, but no one reprimanded the shinie anyway.

"The Commander is cracking her neck, boys..." Said TH over the comms.

"Yeah she just rolled her shoulders back too, you all know what that means-"

"You guys could at least pretend not to know all my habits, you know?" Answered the commander in question as she nodded slightly to one of the clones beside her.

"Nah, it's good practice if we ever get jammed, Commander" piped in Waxer. "Besides, it's something else we can brag about to the 104th. They get too cocky otherwise."

"You men are impossible..."

"What can we say? We have a Commander to impress."