Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

When in the presence of a horcrux, an individual will feel deeply intense emotions, more than likely of the negative variety. Once identified, the only method(s) of disposal are fiendfyre and the venom of a basilisk.

The urge to throw the book across the room became almost too great for Evie, but she instead closed it with a sharp snap. It seemed that if they were to learn anything, that it would have to come straight to the source.

Which seemed to not be a problem at all, given the owl that soared through the open window.

Evangeline,

You have my upmost gratitude for a job well done. Please join Regulus at our next meeting on the 7th.

Wonderful things lie ahead, ma cherie.

Your Lord,

V

The Wizarding World was at a pivotal moment, being able to feel the tense atmosphere at every turn. Magic in its most sentient form was growing agitated, unstable. The amount of black and negative magic coursed through the air, coating every person and surface with a feeling of discontent.

Something had to be done, and it had to be done soon.

July 7th, 1978 Oleander Residence

Regulus showed up, unannounced, an hour before their planned trip back to Malfoy Manor. He was growing more gaunt, the hollows of his cheeks becoming more prominent and his skin paling.

"Regulus. You look like the dead."

He strode straight into her bedroom, taking a silent glance around before deadpanning, "Thanks, Evangeline. I'm not there just yet, surprisingly."

It had been a torturous few weeks for the youngest Black sibling, being paired with Bellatrix for most, if not all, missions. He had watched innocent blood be spilt, and spilt some himself, much more than he would have ever dreamed he would have been comfortable with.

It began to weigh on him, causing the physical differences that Evangeline was now seeing. The nightmares came every night like clockwork, and the food that Kreacher presented him with each day grew more and more unappealing. If anyone else noticed, they didn't voice their concerns.

"I've been researching Horcruxes and have came up with nothing. Not a single way to identify them until they are felt."

"We know of two already. How far can one wizard's soul stretch?" Regulus asked, sitting on the edge of her bed as she dug through her closet.

"I guess that depends upon how many people the wizard is willing to sacrifice."

Regulus scoffed, "Voldemort has killed at least five families this week, Evangeline. If that's the perimeters we are following, we might as well flee while we can."

The pair grew quiet at that, Evangeline continuing to pull out the clothes she planned to wear that afternoon, and Regulus staring at the ink stain within her carpeted floor.

They were beginning to feel hopeless, but neither would admit it to the other. They had both fallen into something much bigger than they could have fathomed, and the end seemed nowhere in sight.

Evangeline dressed quickly, and held her arm out for Regulus to take. The two apparated to the front lawn of Malfoy Manor, their feet landing within the gravel drive. Both took a deep breath, their eyes meeting as they dulled in nature and putting up the barriers around their minds.

Malfoy Manor

The large dining room was now the main headquarters for the Death Eater meetings, which seemed to have grown in numbers. The long and intricately carved table held chairs for twenty-six people, including the ornate chair at the head of the table. Voldemort was already there, sitting in it and leaning forward as each person trickled into the room. Evangeline's eyes met the Dark Lord's, and he wordlessly motioned for her to take the chair to his right.