Chapter Twenty-Six

December 2nd, 1976 Just outside the Great Hall

It was a rather stupid idea on her part to be meeting Regulus right beside of the Great Hall. It was  early that Friday evening when she finished her hair, clipping the snake hair pin into her hair for good luck. Donning her heels and steeling her nerves, she left her room, finding that Regulus was nowhere in sight. Braving the hallway of Hogwarts seemed to scare her much more than the prospect of being fake betrothed to the heir of the richest Wizarding family of Britain. 

She hid away the jittery feeling coursing through her and held her head high as she marched her way to the main corridor of the school. Heads turned, and whispers followed, but she was much too focused on her own breathing and looking graceful to hear what was being said. 

And, just as her luck would have it, the entirety of her group of friends was exiting the hall as she rounded the corner.

"Well, look at you!" Marlene yelled, following it with a wolf whistle.

"Oh, knock it off, Marls! The girl looks bloody terrified!" Lily elbowed Marlene.

"Aren't you just the most beautiful thing, Miss Oleander?" Remus added, dropping into a deep bow.

"Stop taking the piss, Remus," Evie grumbled, "I'm nervous enough as it is."

"You look great, Evie. They won't know what hit them," James warmly smiled at her, running a hand through his hair. 

"Thanks, James," was all Evie could respond with, coupled with a nervous smile.

Sirius stepped in front of the others, holding out his hand for her to take. She carelessly slapped her palm into his, letting out a large breath of air.

"You'll do wonderful, Evangeline. Don't fret. When it comes to my family, just remember- When in doubt, you have a magical lifesaving ring on you that can be used at any time. We'll be there faster than you can say slimy snakes severely sour soirees." 

It helped the bubbling feeling in her stomach, she had to admit, knowing that she had her friends support.

"Stealing my date away, brother? Such an on-brand thing for you," Regulus's cool voice floated around the pair.

"Don't be late next time, Reggie. Be a shame if someone else whisked her off her feet this evening," Sirius smirked before dropping a kiss onto her cheek and following everyone else back to their common room.

"Interesting friends you keep, I must say," Regulus held out his elbow for her to take, and it was only then that she noted his appearance.

Wearing all black dress robes, Regulus looked to be nothing less than the most refined. Evangeline could even admit to herself that he looked a bit intimidating, in a sense. The quiet demeanor mixed with his impeccably perfect self-confidence and poise made people pay attention to him, whether Regulus wanted it or not. 

"You'd think I sprouted warts or something, the way they're all looking at me," Evangeline whispered to Regulus as the two walked towards Dumbledore's office. 

"They're not used to seeing beautiful women, Evangeline. Do give them a break," Regulus replied at full volume, making even more people turn towards them.

"Will you shut it?" she hissed.

"Why so secretive, love?" he once again spoke at full volume, pulling her impossibly closer to him, "I can't show any outwardly affection now?"

"I swear to Merlin, Regulus Black, that when we are through with this insane afternoon, I am going to drown you in the prefect's bath," Evie whispered, following it up with the warmest smile she could muster.