Chapter Sixty

July 14th, 1978 Potter Manor

The healer arrived shortly after James and Sirius joined the others in the front room, and it just happened to be that of Emmeline Vance. She quickly mended her ribs, checking her lungs for any lasting damage and doing another once-over on Evie.

She had been crucioed, to the best of their knowledge, multiple times. A possibly lethal number of one of the deadliest curses possible. She had broken three ribs, one of her fingers, and scraped away all of her fingernails until they bled. The burn marks on her neck and face, being of the magical variety, would simply have to heal on their own.

It had been five days since she had been rescued, and she still hadn't woken up.

And Moony never showed, causing James and Sirius to hurl questions at Dumbledore. It simply wasn't like Remus to not answer a call for help, but Dumbledore assured them that he was checking in with him and was doing fine. He was set to return in three days.

Emmeline showed up every afternoon at five, much like clockwork, to check her vitals and update her chart. She had grown to establish somewhat of a bond with Sirius, with Sirius constantly throwing questions at her that she didn't seem to have the answer to. It was on the fourteenth that Emmeline told him that if Evangeline didn't wake within the next 48 hours, she would be admitted to the Janus Thickey Ward for spell damage.

It was the worst possible news for Sirius to hear, because he knew that once someone entered Ward 49, it was almost impossible for them to leave it. He sunk into the chair in the corner, holding his head in his hands and letting his hair fall into his eyes.

He was sure that he had never felt such a sinking and desperate feeling within himself before, staring at Evangeline's still body lying in the bed. It was like everything else in his life had halted to a quick stop, nothing else being as important as being there when she woke.

"She'll wake up, Sirius," Emmeline announced proudly that afternoon, nodding her head fervently, "Have a little faith, my friend."

Sirius let out a sarcastic laugh, "Faith, Emmeline? Faith has done nothing to aid me my entire life."

She looked unsure of herself as she held her clipboard in her hands, fiddling with the edge. Sirius could tell she wanted to say something, but was holding back.

"Spit it out, Emmeline. I consider us close enough now with all of the time we've spent together."

"Come have dinner with me," she blurted, eyes widening once she realized that she had said it out loud.

Sirius stared at her for a moment, and Emmeline grew uncomfortable, "Please don't feel like you have to say yes. I wasn't sure that you would even be interested, given-"

"Yeah, alright," Sirus nodded.

"Pardon?"

"I'll have dinner with you. James is set to return at seven. I can meet you in Diagon then?"

"Y-y-yeah. I mean, yes. That would be great. We'll meet at Gringott's and go from there?"

"Sounds perfect."

Emmeline couldn't keep the smile off of her face as she floo'd away from Potter Manor, but Sirius had an unsteady feeling within himself.

He wasn't sure at all why he had agreed to such a thing, especially with Evangeline laying in the same room. This was the woman he adored, and he had just taken a date right overtop of her unconscious body.

But he was Sirius Black. Unable to be alone, needing constant reassurance, Sirius Black. He wanted to feel....better.

And besides, he thought, she spent the better half of two years with Remus. I shouldn't feel guilty for one dinner.