Chapter Twenty-Three

November 12th, 1976 Great Hall

Evangeline

I understand your concern with Sirius's brother; your dad and I both do. We implore you to just take precautions and trust your instincts. I plan on owling the headmaster to see if I can come visit you a few days before this party, just in case. 

As for Sirius, how is he? He must know how his family and those like them function. Use that to your advantage. Get as much information as you can before the ball. There are certain customs, as pureblood, that we never taught you. 

I have the perfect dress picked out, and I cannot wait for you to see it. I will bring it with me when I come to visit you, if possible.

Stay safe, Evangeline. I won't lie to you about what's happening outside of the castle. Things are escalating, every single day. You're about to walk right into the lion's den, excuse my pun. Do give the boys my love. I hope to see you very soon.

Love,

Mum 

Evangeline folded the parchment and stuck it in the pocket of her robes. Things around the castle, despite what was happening outside of its walls, were seeming to go back to normal. She was almost suspicious of the calm that had taken hold of her. She occasionally spent her afternoons in the common room or library with Regulus, while she spent the rest of the day outside of classes with the marauders. Even Sirius and Remus had seemed to come to an unspoken agreement to just avoid each other.

That's why it was so out of character for them both to grasp her by her elbows and pull her into the nearest broom closet while she was on her way to potions that morning.

"What do you two think you're doing?" she got out as she struggled against them. 

Once they were all three inside of the closet, Sirius locked the door and blocked it with his body. Remus added a silencing charm.

"Can I help either of you?" she huffed.

"You can't go to Lucius Bloody Malfoy's engagement party, you daft woman," Remus replied.

Turning and shooting a dark look at Sirius, she said, "You told?"

"Of course I told! You can't go!" 

"You're not my mother, Sirius. You can't stop me," she crossed her arms.

"But we can tell you why that is the worst idea you have ever had," Remus added.

"And why is that?"

"Lucius Malfoy is a Death Eater."

Evangeline snorted, "Tell me something I don't know."

"They'll try to recruit you."

"It's almost as if you missed the part where I used the word spy."

"Who exactly do you think you're spying for, Evangeline?" Remus asked, "Because Albus Dumbledore is not going to send in a child to a known nest of Death Eaters."

"Wouldn't he? And besides, you both know my feelings about him."

"Which is even more reason to not do this!" Sirius stressed, "If you don't have Dumbledore on your side, who have you got?"

"I've got you two."

Remus and Sirius both looked at her, shocked.

"Do your parents know about this little outing, Evie darling? What would they have to say?" Sirius narrowed his eyes.