Chapter Twenty-Two

October 30th, 1976
Hogwarts Library

James had had enough. 

His favorite holiday, loved even more than his own birthday, was Halloween. There wasn't a single aspect about the day that he did not love. Hogwarts was always decorated immaculately, with floating pumpkins and candles throughout the Great Hall. Live bats would swoop from side to side, sometimes scaring some of the younger students. And the ghosts! The ghosts would lean into their ghoulish nature, and even jump out and frighten students when they least expected it. 

It was the best day of the year, in James's humble opinion. The perfect day for mischief.

And that is why, the day before his special holiday, he had decided to make the executive decision to recruit Moony and Wormtail for the Annual Marauder's Halloween Special.

They had really been lacking in the practical jokes, James thought, so it was time to ascend to another level. And he had just the thing. 

It may have just needed some fine tuning from the resident brains of the operation.

"Alright, James. What are we here for?" Remus asked, the three huddled around a table in the library.

"Look, I know we've had a rough go of it this year-"

Remus scoffed.

"Okay, so a bloody awful year. That's why we need to think of something spectacular for the Halloween special this year."

"James," Peter began, "You know that Halloween is tomorrow?"

"Which is why I said this was an emergency meeting, wormtail. Time is running out!" 

"Okay," Remus hesitated, "So what have you got?"

"I knew you'd recognize my genius, Moons. So, obviously we have to do something spooky."

"But not scary," Peter interjected, "We don't want to scare the first years again."

"Good point, Pete. I was thinking that a few small pranks around the castle would be nice. Maybe hit the Slytherins again. And of course, the grand finale in the Hall."

"We could charm the Slytherins' beds to shriek and run away when someone tries to touch them?"

"Love that, Wormtail! Think you could pull the spell-work off, Moony?"

Remus nodded, "Definitely. In and out; simple."

"Perfect. I was thinking we could charm all of the chalkboards to turn the writing into Jack-o-lantern faces that mock the professors. Pete, that one would be up to you. Think you can handle it?"

"Sure, Prongs. Doesn't seem too complicated."

"And what of the Great Hall?" Remus asked.

"That one's still a work in progress," James hummed, "What if we made it rain orange lilies and candy from Honeyduke's?"

"We'd have to charm the candy to fall at the right exact moment," Remus rubbed his forehead in thought, "It would be hard, but we could pull it off."

"Oh!" James suddenly exclaimed, "What if we add oleander in with the lilies? We could do that for Evie!" 

"James," Remus replied, straight-faced, "Oleander is highly poisonous. Just touching it can make you violently ill."

"Huh, Remind me to tell Evie that," Prongs laughed, "But seriously mate, we can find something that she'd like!" 

"I'm fairly certain she'd skin us alive, much like what Lily is going to do to you."

"She'll get over it," James dismissed, "Now. Let's get started, shall we?"