Chapter Thirteen

June 3, 1976

O.W.L.s were upon them faster than any of them were ready, especially Evangeline and Remus. The two had began the week by holing themselves up in the library at any free moment possible, with Remus just barely over the last full moon. He had still refused to have Evangeline join them, not being able to even stomach the idea of her seeing him change. He may have loved the girl, but his pride was something he could not sacrifice. 

Lily would sometimes join them, being drove as crazy as Evie was. This would result in James showing up at random times, still trying to make up for the incident with Snape and win her over. Trailing after James would be Sirius, and Peter after Sirius. Like the shameless flirt he was, Sirius was getting just as bad as James when it came to Evangeline. 

"This is rubbish! I will never go to Hogsmeade with him, can't he just give it up?" Lily thumped her head onto the table.

Evangeline tried to keep a a straight face, meeting Remus's eyes. James had seemed to just further believe in he and Lily's love, and Evie felt partially responsible for that. Although she did believe that Lily might possibly be harboring secret feelings for the boy, she did seem to accidentally encourage James's more outlandish ideals.

Just that morning, James and Sirius both had charmed all of the paintings on Lily's way to Transfiguration to yell compliments at her. Meeting her in the doorway to class, James had proudly asked her if she would allow him to take her to Hogsmeade, causing Lily's face to deepen another shade of red. 

"Piss off, Potter," she mumbled, finding a seat in the back of the class and trying to disappear. 

This had seemed to set Lily off for the rest of the day, and now she was furiously scribbling her notes and largely ignoring Evie and Remus.

"You know," Remus began, not looking from his book, "You could just go this once and he'd probably knock it off."

Lily scoffed, "And give him what he wants? Absolutely not. He's an only child of a rich family! He already gets everything he could want."

She had tensed in her anger and had snapped her quill in her hand in half.

"Circe's ever-loving tits! I should have been born a muggle!" 

Evangeline pulled an extra from her bag, gently placing it beside of the girl. 

"Thanks," Lily grumbled, turning back to her notes.

And, speak of the devil himself, James Potter seemed to appear out of thin air, Sirius in tow. 

"Good afternoon, my lovely lady friends and Remus," James took the chair next to Remus, in front of Lily. 

Brushing his lips against the top of Evie's head, Sirius then took the seat between her and Remus at the end of the table.

"Mate, I honestly don't think it's a good time," Remus said, stuffing his laughter down.

"No time like the present. Aye, Moony?" James's eyes seemed to sparkle.

"My, James. You seem awfully chipper today. Whatever could be the occasion?" Evie asked.

"Today is the day that I will win over Evans here.  It's almost time for the second phase."

"Lily," Evangeline began, "I can see what is happening here. But I beg of you, please don't snap my quill. It's luxury Eagle-feather from America. It's my favorite."

This didn't seem to phase neither James nor Lily in the slightest.

"So, Evans. Hogsmeade. Me, you, butterbeer at Three Broomsticks. I'll buy out the entire chocolate section of Honeyduke's if that's what it takes," James propped his elbows on the table, hands holding his face.