The bell dinged again and before I could greet the customer, a blur of golden hair, fuzzy ears and a golden tail were barreling towards my mate, her name leaving the hybrid's lips. "Y/N! I can't believe you're here! I'm so excited to see you!" The protective streak in me wanted to protest when the lion hybrid wrapped his arms around my mate, hugging her tightly, but I could see from the indulgent smile on Jin's face that he knew this hybrid, that he clearly had been one of Y/N's patients.

"Chase honey. It's so good to see you." Y/N's voice was gentle as she returned the hug then stepped back to study the excited feline. "You look so good and so happy. How's the shelter?"

The name immediately rang a bell and I felt the bristling of my tail begin to settle itself down. This was the lion hybrid from the shelter, one of the many hybrids that adored my mate. "It's great. I'm even getting a raise." I could hear the excitement in his voice and I remembered what Jin had said about this lion being deemed as hostile and unapproachable. Under the care of Y/N, he had bloomed like a flower, basking in the warmth that he had never had the chance to receive.

"I'm so happy to hear that." Y/N rubbed a fuzzy ear then stepped back. "You haven't even been there that long so they must love you."

Chase ducked his head shyly, his cheeks pink. "Um... my boss says I'm great with the animals. I even..." Chase's words trailed off and his eyes widened in surprise as his breathing started to increase, his pupils widening, and his face flushing even further. "My... my mate. They... they're here."

Y/N let out a sound of surprise and gently touched his arm. "Chase? It's okay. Take a deep breath."

His eyes on Y/N's face, Chase nodded then looked around the shop, his nose twitching as he tried to find the source of the scent. "I can... I can smell oranges and flowers. It's...it's amazing." His eyes settled on someone and when we all looked over, we noticed a pretty cat hybrid who had just come into the coffee shop. She had long black hair, beautiful caramel colored skin, and ear that were the same midnight color as her hair. Her eyes immediately went to Chase, a shy smile coming to her face.

"Go talk to her." Y/N gave the lion a gentle nudge and he shook his head, his tail coming to rest in his hands as he rubbed it nervously. "Go. Go meet your mate."

Chase took a deep breath and nodded then slowly approached the cat. Her smile grew as he approached and it gave me hope that things would work out for them. I could hear bits and pieces of their conversations, including the word mate. With a grin, Chase took her hand and led her over to Jin and Y/N. "Y/N? This is..."

"Valeria?" Y/N's eyes went wide as she spoke. "Is it really you?"

"Nurse Y/N?" Valeria's smile spread across her face and she hurried forward, releasing Chase's hand and hugging Y/N tightly. "I'm so happy to see you."

The rest of us looked at each other confused and Y/N laughed. "Valeria was my first patient at the sanctuary."

Valeria nodded at Y/N's words. "Yep. Nurse Y/N took care of me then helped me get into design school."

"Valeria even brought me a dress she made. It's the purple and black one that I wear." Y/N turned back to the cat, the smile bright on her pretty face. "How is everything going? And you're Chase's mate? I'm so happy to hear that."

"It's going really good. I just moved back to the area. I got a job working as the fashion director for a film company." I could see the pride in Valeria's eyes and it made me happy to know that yet another one of Y/N's patients were doing so well, leading such a successful life. She looked over at Chase shyly. "And I guess I moved back at the right time."