The Lion Boy Part 2

Percy POV

I glared at the ringmasters of the circus. Those lions weren't happy, they were scared! Apparently nobody else realized that and I heard lots of 'oohs and ahs' from the crowd. I scowled. For no apparent reason, the ringmaster's hat caught on fire. He frantically tried to pat it out, and I looked smugly at it, thanking whatever unseen power did it. Hestia, who was standing by my side, looked just as unhappy as I and although they were mumbled, I caught a few odd phrases such as, 'send him to Hades the hard way'. Her eyes were blazing, the normal warm flame-ish look they had to them gone, as they now looked as dangerous as a gun pointed at your head. Hestia resolved her face and walked over to the ringmaster, there was quite a bit of arm waving, and scary glaring. Hestia then handed over a large wad of cash, and the directors eyes widened. He shook her hand with enthusiasm and a wide grin. Hestia looked irritated, but shook his hand back. 

 The show finished abruptly after that and the old sketchy circus packed everything up and left. But they forgot two things, err, animals. The lions still stood there, a little confused, a lot regal. They surveyed the children and then their eyes landed on me. I walked up to them, almost in a trance, and placed my hand on their forehead. It was almost like I could hear their thoughts. 

 They were both males, and were fairly early along in life. The difference between them was their coloring, one was white and one was black. Only certain people could see that though, to normal people, they looked the same sandy brown color. The black was named Dynatós, or mighty. Their names were both greek for some reason, and for another unknown reason, I could understand. The white was named Axioprepí̱s, but preferred to be called Axi. His name meant dignified. They both were majestic beasts, worthy of respect. I gazed into their soft gold eyes. They were full of wisdom, and courage. Then, and I only realized how strange it was later, I bowed. And they bowed back.

  As soon as all of us lifted our heads I became aware of the silence behind us. Hestia looked a little annoyed, but not weirded out like everybody else. That was the day I realized the whispers began. Rumors flitted around the orphanage, darkening spirits and damaging souls. 

 For a while I was oblivious, I only spent time with my lions. Yes mine. They played with everybody, but as soon as I came 'round, it was all me. Playing, bowing, laughing. I had a few friends at the orphanage, but they quickly left after the little show with Dynatos and Axi. It didn't matter to me. Dynatos and Axi were the only friends I needed. Axi taught me how to hold back, and when to let loose. He educated me and soon I became far more intelligent than the average five year old. I quickly came to the conclusion I could hear the lions thoughts, and we had conversations on a regular basis. I didn't know it wasn't normal for these things to happen. Dynatos taught me how to carry myself, and how to make others respect me. I learned the fighting techniques of the lion, never practiced, but I knew if I ever needed to I would be able. 

 My blissful ignorance didn't last long however. Children taunted me, and I didn't like it. I didn't know how to respond though, so I said nothing. But strange things happened when I got angry. Water attacked people, things caught on fire, the earth shook, and my lions became agitated. Nobody seemed to be able to get along when I got angry, it was like it was physically impossible for them. 

 The women who I vaguely remembered after my mothers death started appearing in my dreams. She educated me on the greek and roman gods. She called me hero, and her champion, for reasons I didn't know. Hestia became increasingly worried for me. One time I caught her in her room, whispering things to a man she called Poseidon. She waved me off, but always locked her door after that.

 One night I decided I was done, so I wrote a night for Hestia placing it on her nightstand, and I left, taking my lions with me.