Preparing for the Yule Ball

Now he's grabbing her hips, and pulling her in.

Kissing her lips, and whispering in her ear.

"Hello, Lovelies!" I greeted everyone at lunch as I sat next to Fred.

"Hey!" Angelina, who sat between Fred and George, smiled as she greeted me and looked around, "Where's Cedric?"

"He's still in the library trying to figure out that egg and asked me to bring him something back."

"Hm, I thought he'd have been smart enough to figure it out by now," Fred snorted with a snarky tone, refusing to make eye contact with me as he took a bite of his food.

The comment made me glower at him, suspicious of where this attitude came from, but I decided to ignore it either way. The last thing I wanted to deal with today was his snide remarks.

Instead, I just looked past him to Angie, "What about Harry? Has he figured it out yet?"

George shook his head, "Dunno, but I don't think so. Ron would have let it slip if he did."

"Yeah, everyone knows Ron can't keep a secret," Fred chuckled.

"What's that he's got over there?" Angie nodded towards Ron.

We all craned our necks to look at Ron down the table and saw him holding up a pair of frilly-looking robes with lace all along the collar and sleeves.

Ron's nose crinkled as he stood up and held the robe's in front of his body, "Mum sent me a dress..."

"Well, it does match your eyes. Is there a bonnet?" Harry pulled something out that looked like the collar for the robes, "Aha!"

Ron rolled his eyes and pushed the collar away, "Nose down, Harry."

He started to walk down the table towards his sister, "Ginny, These must be for you."

Ginny's face twisted with disgust, "I'm not wearing that. It's ghastly."

Hermione giggled and covered her mouth, causing Ron more confusion as he walked over to her, "What are you on about?"

"They're not for Ginny," She replied through more giggles, "They're for you."

Everyone at the table erupted in laughter, along with Hermione, as Ron's face contorted into one of horror and bewilderment.

"Dress robes!" Hermione specified, still laughing.

The panic never left Ron's eyes, "Dress robes? For what?"

-----

It didn't take long for Ron's question to be answered.

McGonagall had called all the Gryffindors to a corridor for a big announcement. The room had been almost entirely cleared, except for a few benches to sit on and a huge gramophone almost in the centre.

She seemed annoyed with Filch as he tried to get the gramophone to work; nevertheless, she addressed the Gryffindor students.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of The Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in The Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity.

As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because The Yule ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

The girls' side of the room immediately broke out into whispers of excitement, and the boys' side into groans.

I leaned in to whisper to Angie, but without looking, she held up a finger to silence me, "Shhh..." She recrossed her arms while staring George down, "I'm letting him know I mean business."