My Best Friend And I

I didn't like how my parents treated me like a little kid. I would be seven this week so they should listen to me! I had always told this to Bernard. He was my best friend in the whole wide world, and he even helped me pick out my dresses. Though he was really old he could take all my horse-play. My parents wouldn't let me bring him outside.

I thought they were being unfair. I mean, I was old enough to not hurt him. I was a good friend! I could never forgive my parents for that. They made me sad, because I can no longer play with my best friend. Bernard wasn't happy with that, either. He kept frowning at me through my bedroom window when I played outside. But I told him we would get through it together.

I started staying in more so I could play with Bernard, so he would be happy. I didn't play with my friends anymore and rarely left the house. My parents thought I was insane. When they asked why I wouldn't leave, I told them I wanted to play with Bernard since they wouldn't let me bring him outside anymore. They glanced at each other. After bed they told me to go to sleep and let Bernard rest on his own. I agreed. I was a fool.

I woke up when I heard some talking and thumps from Bernard's room. I had thought someone had broke in and was there to hurt or steal Bernard. I was half right. When I peeked through the door I saw my parents arguing. They were talking about me and Bernard.

"What are we going to do? She is too attached to him, she no longer hangs out with her friends!" My mom said.

"We have to get rid of the thing, Margaret! Just throw it in the trash and say he ran away. She already thinks it can move and play with her. She'll believe it."

I couldn't believe it. My parents wanted me to get rid of my best friend! I looked over to Bernard's sleeping figure. Looks like he was awake the whole time. I looked into his eyes and saw the same fury I felt towards my parents. I would show them! Bernard can move and play! I backed away from the door and softly padded towards my room. I closed the door and blocked my ears from the sounds of my parents screams. 

When I woke up the next morning I crept into Bernard's room. Everything was covered with blood and lumps of meat. I looked to the right and saw Bernard smiling at me. I grinned back. They deserved it. I love Bernard. And I will continue to love him no matter what.

Yes, I loved Bernard. Bernard, my big teddy bear with the cute button eyes and stitched mouth and brown fur matted with blood.