Options (Levi x Reader Modern AU)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! Because this one and the last one were relatively short, I'll be posting another one at some point today. I just felt this was something I needed to write in order to help me process some lessons I've learned recently. It seems life isn't quite ready to let up with all the things it's throwing at me, but I do see hope that someday soon, this series of unfortunate events will finally be behind me.

You tucked yourself into your husband's strong chest, burying your face in the crook of his neck. Your eyelids squeezed shut as you breathed in his familiar scent, hoping it would calm you, ground you. And you tried not to cry.

"I'm sorry," Levi murmured, rubbing your back comfortingly.

You sniffled. "It just...sucks that I put myself out there to ask for their help, only to find out...they were going to be against me no matter what I did."

"I know," he replied in a soft, understanding tone. "I'm sorry."

It had been a terrible conversation. After months of suffering mental strain due to office politics and subtext, of not being able to sleep, of feeling so sick that you couldn't eat, you'd finally gone up the leadership chain to tell them you wanted to move to a different job, a different team. You'd even gone far outside your comfort zone to explain the details of your suffering, hoping it would make them understand. Only to find out they'd already formed an opinion of you long before you met with them, and that opinion wasn't going to change, no matter what you said or did. And they told you, in essence, "Sorry you're feeling bad, but it's your fault."

Worse, they refused to support your movement to a different job until you "met expectations". You'd have to bow and scrape to these people who didn't care, pretend to be contrite for something that wasn't your fault, until they gave you their approval to leave the situation. In the meantime, you were trapped.

"Hey, don't take this the wrong way..." Levi began hesitantly. Usually, he didn't bother with gentle wording, but he'd been trying to be more tactful with you, not wanting to hurt you in the slightest. "Have you thought about, maybe...leaving the company altogether?"

You hiccupped, then glanced up at him. "You mean...quit?"

"It might be the best thing for you," he stated, brushing your hair out of your face.

"B-but..." you sputtered, tears pricking your eyes. "I can't quit. Then I wouldn't have a salary, or insurance. Besides...it would look bad..."

"Look bad to who?" Levi questioned. "The people who've already decided they're going to view you poorly regardless?"

"Well...I guess..." you mumbled. "But...isn't it just bad in general? Like, if you leave...and it's not for another job? Isn't that like...failing?"

"Not at all," he stated, soft yet resolute. "It's your life, and you need to do what's best for you. There's nothing wrong with removing yourself from a bad situation, or with having time between jobs. It's not a failure. And success isn't sacrificing your well-being to please and appease people who don't care about you."

You stayed silent, processing. While you did feel strongly that you shouldn't have to put up with this kind of treatment...it was difficult, when society had conditioned you to believe certain norms were absolutes. Still, Levi had a point. You couldn't think of any specific reason leaving your job should be thought of as a failure, especially if you didn't intend to return to the same company. So maybe...

"Besides, you haven't been enjoying the actual work for a while now, right?" he continued. "Maybe this is an opportunity to figure out what you'd rather be doing. Take some time to try new things, until you find what you love."

"I guess...that could be helpful..." you mumbled slowly, acknowledging the truth of his words. "But...still, there are other issues, aren't there? I mean, I guess I could get on your insurance, but I wouldn't have salary."

"We can get by for a while," Levi assured you. "I haven't done the math, but I'm fairly certain my salary can cover things. And if we have to dip into savings, we dip into savings. That's what it's there for."

Your brow furrowed. "I thought it was for stuff like...if our house burned down, or if one of us ended up in the hospital..."

"Your mental and emotional wellbeing are just as important as any of those things," he stated. "Besides, get stressed out enough, and you actually will end up in the hospital."

You winced, aware of how extreme stress could cause physical problems – even serious and long-term ones. That fact had actually been adding to your anxiety over the past few months, always knowing in the back of your mind that you could potentially end up with health issues for the rest of your life, yet not being able to do anything to stop the strain.

"Look, I'm not saying you have to quit your job," Levi continued, petting your hair reassuringly. "I just want you to know you have viable options. At the end of the day, the choice is yours. Do whatever you feel is best for you. Whatever you'll regret the least."

Somehow, your husband had figured out exactly what you needed to hear. "Thanks, Levi," you murmured, nuzzling into him a bit more. While you were still far from okay, his words had made you feel at least slightly better. It was a relief to know you weren't as trapped in this situation as you'd initially thought.

Your husband pressed a loving kiss to your hair. "Of course. I hate seeing you stressed out like this."

"I hate being stressed out like this," you grumbled into his collar. Then you sighed. "Could you just...hold me for a little while longer?"

"As long as you want," he promised.

In gratitude, you brushed your lips across the skin of his throat – the lightest of movements, though he felt it nonetheless – before settling into stillness. Your eyelids fluttered closed as you breathed in his familiar scent, allowing it to ground you. Even if the rest of your life felt like it was spiraling out of control, even if you were potentially heading toward something new and intimidating, you could take comfort from the fact that Levi would be here, supportive and steady. That was one, infinitely important thing you could always count on.

And your husband held you until you were ready to let go.