[29] "Hot Chocolate"

Start from the beginning

     He shakes with laughter and I bury my face into his chest so he doesn't see my embarrassment. He tries to pull me away to look at me and I tighten my grip, face warm and I'm sure red. He gives up on trying to peel me away and rewraps me in his embrace.

"Would you like to come inside?" he asks.

     I pause to actually think about it. My first instinct is to say no, but I actually want to. I like him. I've liked him since we were kids, but I buried that when Leila was dating him and rumors were flying around. Rumors that were true, but had the wrong context.

"Do you have tea?" I ask.

"I...I don't know, but I can probably find some," he says, a little confused.

"Okay," I say and tilt my head towards the door.

He opens his side and I follow him out. He puts an arm on the small of my back to guide me into the house. I haven't been here in ages and apprehension grips me so tight I feel like I can't breathe.

"Hey, are you okay? We don't have to go in. I can take you home," he says, pausing our walk.

That alone decides for me. His genuine concern and care makes the tightness in my throat go away. It makes me feel safe.

"No. We can go in," I say, resuming our walk to the door.

     "If at any point you'd rather be in the comfort of your own home seriously tell me," he says and opens the door to the house.

     "Okay," I say softly and follow behind him.

     Annie has clearly left the lights on as the bright kitchen and shiny mugs call my name. There's nothing like having a long day and sipping on some tea before bed. Archer leads the way and I take in the house as we walk. It really hasn't changed since the parties he used to host. Then again, it's been so long I wouldn't remember the smaller details that I'm sure have altered.

     "I don't think I have any tea, but there's hot chocolate here?" he suggests as he digs through the cupboards.

     "Hot chocolate is even better," I say and he stops.

     I grab a mug from the cabinet and carefully shut the glass door. Archer gently takes the mug from my hands and goes over to the sink to fill it up. I watch curiously as there are two different water spouts. He catches me looking and I avert my gaze.

     "This one is a hot water spout. Comes in handy a lot of times," he says, tapping the sink and the water ceases.

     "A touch sink? That's neat," I say.

     "Comes in handy," he says once again.

     He rips the hot chocolate packet open and dumps the powder into the cup, not spilling a single bit. Then he grabs a spoon to stir and I lean against the counter as he does the most mundane task ever. He's making my hot chocolate. He just seems so much like everyone else in this moment that I wish I didn't jump into the rumors about him.

     "Here. Let me know if it tastes alright," he says.

     I bring the warm mug close and take a sip. It's hot that's for sure but perfect.

     "It's great," I respond and he smiles subtly.

     He motions to lead me out of the kitchen-he's not having hot chocolate?-but stops once he looks at me.

     "What's wrong?" he asks.

     "Wrong? I didn't say anything," I question confused.

     "Your face told me everything you didn't say," he quips.

     I freeze knowing all too well how sometimes I can't help that I make faces out loud.

     "You're not having any?" I raise my cup that's perfectly keeping my hands toasty.

     His face softens and he lightly laughs.

     "I have to have some too?" he says, looking at me with patronizing eyes.

     "Yes...and you have to let me make it," I say with determination.

     "Alright, little dove have at it," he gestures to the hot chocolate cabinet as I grab another mug.

     I fill it with the hot water from the tap sink which is literally the coolest thing I have ever seen. I head over to the hot chocolate but don't even reach for it as Archer comes up behind me.

     It's on the top self.

     "Go on," he teases.

     I shoot him a playful glare and decide to make a fool out of myself and try to reach. I'm about a half a foot short. I try again, this time jumping and still miss. I give Archer a look while he watches amused at my struggle.

     "What? You want help?" he asks.

     I cross my arms. He's dead wrong if he thinks I'm gonna ask. He sighs and steps forward, trapping me in between the shelves and him. He doesn't break eye contact as he reaches up and returns with a fresh hot chocolate packet.

     "Here you go," he says and the trance I'm in breaks.

     I clear my throat, "thanks."

     He steps back and I finish his hot chocolate, handing it to him and watching intently as he takes a sip.

     "I'm glad you're making me have some," he says and takes another sip.

I smile in victory although it's probably harder to mess up making a single serve packet hot chocolate than to make it right.

He leads me to the giant living room where a TV bigger than me is settled on the wall. He lets me take a seat first and sits down close--close enough that our legs touch. He leans back and lets his arm rest on the back of the couch behind me. I still have both hands on my mug as I take a sip to calm my fluttery nerves. Don't get me wrong, I've dated other guys before but this is just different. I genuinely like Archer the more I get to know him and I don't sense any games or foul play involved.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"What? Yeah, of course why wouldn't I be?" I say, snapping out of my thoughts.

"You're holding your mug with a death grip and I feel like Kade and everything tonight shook you up more than you're willing to admit," he says.

Oh. He thinks I'm still thinking about the Kade ordeal. I mean yeah that wasn't a highlight of my night by any means but he's the last thing on my mind.

"I'm fine. Yeah, that wasn't anything to gush about but I'm not getting hung up on it," I say, loosening my grip on my mug as well.

"Yeah okay but there was that and..." he trails off.

Oh right. The fact that his father is dead and the rumors are half baked but half true.

"Archer. The more I get to know you the more I feel silly for believing any of the rumors. No one heard your side of the story and you're friends must be tight-lipped because they could've cleared things up. But for some reason you let people believe what they wanted and I respect that. You don't have anything to prove to anyone," I ramble.

He looks at me for a second and I take a gulp of way-too-hot hot chocolate.

"Movie?" he says.

I take his silence as thanks and nod my agreement.

* * *

i'm actually so sorry for being so slow with this update. i've been so busy and i know that's such an overused excuse but i hope you enjoy!

please like and comment your thoughts!

jasmine croft xo