ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕚𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

The stone white footrace of the place was an eyeful for Eve and me as we looked at it from afar. There was all but one Ranker there protecting the entranceway. "Okay so what we know so far of this place is that it's run by a Dr. Williams and only a few other doctors have access, including..." She reached for her pocket. "...Dr. Bernadette." She smiled proudly. I could see a similar pixy-cut haired woman with big glasses on.

"Okay, but why doesn't she go in and get the stuff we need instead of us having to do it?" I questioned as she unzipped her bag.

"Because she doesn't have access to the last level. No one can get into that except Dr. Williams." She pulled out a white lab coat and put it on. Then she took out a pair of ridiculous glasses and put them over her face.

"And those are for?" I said, giving her a concerning look up and down.

She shrugged her shoulders. "What? They make me look more geeky."

I shook my head at her cuteness. The pixy cut with the square framed glasses made her more chic than nerdy. It even hid most of her pale skin tone—a dead giveaway of being a Stiff.

"How are we going to have access? Her card won't work on that level, right?" I asked.

She dug deep into her backpack searching for the answers to my question. She then pulled out a card with Trinity's face on it. "Dr. William Trinity was the hierarchy in the lab so the card should still work."

"Yeah, hopefully. Unless they changed the codes. Have you thought of that?" I said, watching Eve throw the bag to the side to hide it in the bushes nearby. I did the same with the food bag.

"Don't be such a worry wart. If that happens, we'll have a few minutes to get out before it complete locks us in," she said nonchalantly.

"Okay great," I said sarcastically, unamused by her response.

Dusting off the lab coat, she looked over to me. "Well, how do I look? You think I can pull of Bernadette or what?"

"Possibly, if they eye the image quickly," I said truthfully. "What about me? Who am I going as?"

"Yourself. We know that they are secretly taking zombies and doing all sorts of testing in there." I looked at the sinister building all dressed in white, pretending to be pure. "Including some Stiffs."

I snapped my head back almost getting whiplash. "Our people? Are you sure?"

"No, we have no evidence of anyone being taken but there are whispers though."

Images of the Rankers we saw earlier on our side had my skin crawling. Fire ignited inside me and I was ready to wreak havoc on all of them.

"Let's do this."

We walked over to the entrance. My wrists were intertwined in rope and tucked behind me. Eve was close to my side with her hand fully gripped around my arm.

The ranker looked no younger than twenty. He stared us both down, gun close to his side and firming his hand around the grip. "Badge," he said.

Eve pointed to her card resting on her side chest.

"No badge?" he asked. My heart skipped a beat, sinking below my stomach. I looked at Eve trying to mask the pure panic that was going on inside me. We're going to get caught.

Just then, the guy moved to the side and revealed the tall computer-like stand. Eve chuckled. "Well you know how my days going. It's been a long one, especially with these damn Stiffs, am I right?" We made our way past the guard in one piece.

Making our way down the empty halls of the building, on each side we observed open windows for us to see through to each room. Lab men and woman were too focused on their materials and vials to pay any attention to us imposters. Feeling like odd ducks, we quickened our steps until we reached the elevator at the end.