And without hesitation, she tackled me into a hug. I fell on my back as I heard her giggle before laughing from the sheer joy.

I grunted from the sudden impact of the ground, my mind processing the moment. It was not the reaction I was expecting, but a positive. I could barely make out the words she was saying. The only words I could hear were, "Thank you!"

I chuckled, patting her back as she kept repeating 'Thank you' as I supported myself with my arm. She pulled away from the hug. I could see the tears that pricked her eyes, threatening to fall as she kept softly laughing. Her hands were still on my shoulders as if debating to hug me again. I wouldn't have minded it. But she eventually let go.
"Um, I'm sorry."

The gears in my head clicked, promptly asking, "What?" As I listened to what she had to say, I composed myself, shifting in my seat.

Leafy ran her hand behind her neck sheepishly. She pressed her knees closer to her chest, looking everywhere else but towards me. "I'm sorry. That was excessive, huh?" she spoke under the sound of the crackling flames. She readjusted her sitting position, turning to face the fire, but I stayed still, my sight stuck on her.

Contemplation.

She contemplated with her sight on the fire. Why she always stared at the fire was something I wanted to ask for a while. But again, that could wait for later.

Had I done something wrong? She was so happy just mere seconds ago.
I scooted closer to her, hoping she would still say something. And much to my surprise, she did.

"You know, it's nice of you, Coiny," the girl stated, folding her arms. She still pressed her sight on the embers before turning to the grass underneath us. Flicking a single blade of grass, she kept quiet. She faintly furrowed her brows, biting her lips.

She took a heavy breath in, abruptly turning to me. "Why?"

The question surprised me. "Uh, why what?"

She sighed, puffing up her cheeks, folding her arms again as she looked away from me.

'God. I forgot she did that...'

Faintly tapping her fingers on her arm, she glanced back at me, debating what to do. Forcing a sigh out, she slapped her hands over her face, followed by a loud groan of frustration.

'That's definitely the Leafy I know.'

I kept quiet, seeing her drastic change from so blunt to-well-her old self. What I remembered of her old self, at least. Her hair fell as she hunched over, covering her face. A couple of seconds ticked by and I dared not to speak.

A way to kill me, maybe?

Her hair still covered her face, swaying with the drift of the wind. I clicked my tongue against my teeth at the thought; completely ridiculous. She appeared to just be nervous. Her leg bouncing, she kept her hands stuck on her face.

She lifted ‌her head, biting the knuckle of her index finger, completely drowned in thought. A deep breath in and a deep breath out. She looked at me, finally speaking.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Oh."

I shifted in my seat, fidgeting with the pull tab on my jacket. What was I supposed to say to that?

Was there anything to say?

My brain sped through thoughts and scenarios, trying to figure out what to do. Speak or not to speak, that was the question. I'd look like an idiot if I didn't speak. But I couldn't think of any words to say. Something had scrubbed out the entire vocabulary from my head.