CHAPTER 8

Remus waited in a room in the ministry building afterward, she didn't know why she was expecting to go to Azkaban with the Aurors to get Sirius but apparently, that was not an option

So here she was, twiddling her thumbs and trying not to think about her interactions with Peter earlier as she waited for her husband to come back.

After what seemed like literal hours, the door cracked open, she looked up to see Sirius standing in front of her, his hair matted into clumps, skiing bruised and dirt, cheeks hollow from malnutrition. But he was her Sirius, the love of her life, her husband, she took a deep breath and ran into his arms, she needed them around her. The Aurors closed the doors behind Sirius to give them some privacy.

"Oh my god Moony, you got me out" cried Sirius.

"Of Course Sirius"

"I thought-- I thought you thought I" he was full out crying now.

"That you did it? I would never think that Sirius, never, you hear me."

"I know I just, it was so long moony and Azkaban was, it was"

"Hey, it's ok, you're out now, it can't hurt you, your safe"

"And Peter, James, James is i"

"Padfoot, listen to me pads, we are going home now, we'll go home and see Harry you want to see Harry"

"Oh my god Harry, where is Harry"

"Harry is fine, he's safe, we can go home, have a nice bath and then go see Harry ok."

"Ok"

"I love you Sirius, and I'm so glad your back"

"I love you too Moony, more than anything else in the whole world."

-----------

Remus put Sirius inside the hot bath and he sighed, she knelt begging him, and began working on his hair.

"My poor hair was not made for prison," said Sirius.

"Don't you worry, it'll be just as perfect in no time"

"How did you deal with it Rem, the fact that James is really gone, it feels so surreal"

"I don't think I did, I focused all my attention on Harry and getting you out."

"But now we have to deal with it"

"Yeah, and we'll get through it, together."

"Where was he, Peter"

"In the Weasley's house, he was a pet to one of the boys"

"The Weasleys," Sirius gasped.

"Yeah, it was by chance that I met Molly and she invited me to dinner. I can't believe he thought he could hide there, right under my nose."

"Did you talk to him?" Sirius whispered.

"I-- not really, he tried to sell the Sirius is the traitor bullshit to me too but he knew it wasn't going to work, I made them put him on Veritism, and the things he said Sirius, it's like I didn't even know who he is anymore, I need some time before I can talk about it."

"Ok yeah, let's just focus on the bath and Harry right now"

"Yeah, let's."

---------

Sirius was pissed about Harry having to live with the Dursleys and was ready to storm off to meet Dumbledore that very night but she convinced him to stay for a few days to rest and get his strength back.

Thankfully, Harry still remembered Sirius and ran to him on his little pudgy legs, squealing in delight. Harry and Sirius refused to let go of each other so She picked him up from number 4 and brought him home.

The night progressed merrily from then on, Sirius slowly returning to his former self as he laughed and played with Harry. Remus knew that many more wounds needed healing within Sirius, but for now, they were all here and safe and happy and that was all she cared about.

------

"What did they say?" said Remus as soon as Sirius came in through the door. Sirius had gone to talk to ministry officials about Harry's housing situation and Remus was waiting eagerly by the door.

It's been a week since Sirius came back and he's quickly bouncing back to his old self. Remus wanted to go with him today but he insisted she stayed back.Technically, Harry lived in their home full time now, Sirius refused to let him back into Vernon Dudley's house.

"The ministry officials were terrified of me, I know I don't like the power the black name wields but it's kind of fun," he said.

"Sirius"

"Our main problem is Dumbledore, he said something about how it's safer for him here because of some blood magic shit. The rest of them are bootlickers ready to do anything I say."

"Good then, we can come to some sort of compromise with Dumbledore I'm sure, talk to him in private, at the school maybe. but even if he outright refuses, we can get Harry through the ministry."

"Yeah I think that's for the best, I don't think Voldemort is gone all the way, that much is clear after living among his followers for a month. we don't want to get on Dumbledore's bad side."

"If Voldemort comes back then Harry is the one who will be in most danger"

"It's settled then, I'll write to Dumbledore, ask him if he wants to join us for tea, here or the school or even somewhere else."

"Yeah, I'm gonna get started on dinner now, you give Prongslet a bath." He said.

"Sure boss," she laughed and went to find Harry.