Bears, Spiders, Ravens, Wolves, and Bats, Oh My

Jexx sighed as he gently shut Amber's front door.
It was to bad that this was the only way he could see her without causing her crippling pain and anguish that usually followed him and his helplessly pathetic existence.

He twirled a stray bit of hair around his finger as he started to walk slowly down the dark dirt paths.
The moon was just bright enough for him to see the area around him, and to see the moonflowers bloom releasing the fairies and their little families into the still cool night air.

They started floating around Jexx as he made his way out of the village to the run down Vampiric Castle he called his den.

When he got there he found Buck sitting on one of the crumbled pillars infront of the main entrance.
He was dozing off with his arms crossed.

Jexx cleared his thoat loudly startling Buck awake.
" B-boss!-.." He rubbed his eyes and smirked. " How was your visit with the newbie?"
Jexx mearly shrugged and pushed open the big doors completely ignoring the claw marks and gashes on the walls and floors.

He walked through the entrance hall and into the Great hall, which was more like a big trophy room.

The Great hall was a large rectangle, with two huge elegantly decorated and carved staircases that led up to the collapsed second floor.
In-between the stairs was a giant fireplace tall enough to hold Jexx without a problem. The back wall had been smashed through revealing an old cave the looked to have been sealed off.

Jexx immediately headed for this opening and was followed by Buck.

As they both descended into the darkness the cold unfriendlyness of the castle slowly dissipated and was replaced with a strange familiarity, and a strange feeling of safety and strength.

After a minute or so of stumbling down the dark tunnel something started glowing infront of them.
As they approached the glowing thing revealed itself to be a cluster of mushrooms in a little carved out dent in the wall.

The first mushroom was bright electric blue, with deeper blue spots and a mint green stem, the second was bright electric yellow with mustered colored spots and a white stem, the third was bright lime green with avocado spots and a brown stem,
the fourth was a bright lavender with violet spots and a black stem,
and lastly the fifth one was a bright blood red with maroon spots and a mahogany stem.
They all glowed brightly illuminating a large portion of the tunnel infront of them with all their beautiful colors.
In the light of the mushrooms, Jexx stopped and looked at the wall. He had saw something out of the corner of his eye.

There looked to be pictographs painted and chiseled into the rough stone.

Buck looked closely and frowned as he read what his alpha had found out loud.
" Glowing blue shall light your way,
Glowing purple shall lead you astray,
Glowing red shall show you bones,
Glowing green shall show you scarlet,
Glowing yellow shall show you friends-..
What the hell is all that s'posed to mean, and holy shit that sucks-"

Jexx didn't say anything and turned to the mushrooms.
He stared down at them for a second before extending a claw and pushing it into the purple mushroom.
Brightly glowing purple slime oozed out covered Jexxes hand.
He then turned and pressed his hand against the wall with the pictographs.

He whispered something hesitantly to the wall, then the stone seemed to suck all of the purple goo off of his hand leaving no trace of it behind but a memory.

The pictures started glowing.

From the very first one, and then slowly sweeping down the line, lighting up more and more pictures on both sides of the tunnel.
Like a breadcrumb trail.
The light bounced back and forth between the two walls, sometimes spiraling from the wall to the roof, to the floor and then back to the wall.

After a minute or so of following the light, the tunnel opened up into a wide cavern that was more wide then tall. The light went to the left and followed the wall until it went to the very back center part of the cavern.
The light slowly spread revealing a large mural, depicting a huge spider with large slick shiny legs, huge fangs, and eight deadly eyes that seemed to stare directly at Jexx and Buck as they approached it.

As they got closer they could see four other murals. They all where positioned to create a sort of crest shape, or a pie. The spider being the top left peice.

Jexx ran his fingers through his hair pulling out his messy bun. His soft silky oil black hair curtained around his face, tickling his nose making him sneeze. He flipped his hair back and then frowned and looked at buck.

"What do you think this is? I've never gone this deep before."
Buck shrugged and reached out and ran his fingers lightly over the spider Muriel.
As soon as his fingers touched the spider his body froze and his eyes started seeing something that wasn't there.

Jexx blinked and put his hand on his shoulder to shake him but he froze too and he started seeing and hearing the same thing that buck was.

"SPIDERS!" Private Mayfield yelled as he dawned his midnight black sword.
Friends unshethed their own weapons and valted the short stone wall that separated them from the spiders and vampires.
'When did they start helping eachother?!' He thought to himself and he followed his family into battle.
He started running towards what looked to be the enemies leader. A huge spider with slick black legs and body with six working eyes and a broken fang.

It was watching the battle with almost hawk like attention, and practically salivating over the blood that had been spilled in the last minute.

Mayfield charged and swung his sword, which he thought would have ended up chopping off one of the big nasty arachnids many legs but only succeeded in nocking him off balance and making him drop his sword. Which had immediately started sliding down the hill.
He stared up at the huge spider staring down at him with a gleeful psychotic look in its eyes.
It was about to bite him when a huge black wolf slamed into it causing it to fly to the side and hit an adjacent tree.

The wolf snorted and licked its lips before looking at Mayfield and seeming to grin.

The images changed and moved to where Jexx and buck were now, but they weren't looking through their own eyes.

Mayfield leaned against the wall with a chisle in his bleeding worn out hand.
" The spiders, the ravens, the vampires-.. its all documented-.." He said breathlessly to whoever was infront of him.
" Good." Was all the other person said before walking off with their shoes making a light thunking sound against the stone floor.

Buck and Jexx couldn't see them, they were veiled behind the shadows cast by the lanterns that hung on the ceiling.

Mayfield sighed and dropped the chisele before looking at his hand and grinning. He was proud of himself, he had gotten recognition for his year of hard non-stop work.
He shakily stood up and walked out of the room leaving to follow the other person.

The vision dissolved leaving Buck and Jexx standing staring at a faintly glowing wall.

Jexx shook his head trying to clear his thoughts as he let go of Bucks shoulder and took a step back.
" What the hell was that-.."

___________________________________________

"Daddy, what are humans?"
" They're like us, but they dont have the gift of the wolf."
" Why dont they have a wolf?"
Oliver shrugged.
"They just never had it kid." He ruffled his sons hair.
" But if they dont have a wolf, how do they protect themselves?"
" They use, swords, guns, those sorts of things."
"Oooooohhhh." He giggled and raised his hands above his head in a big stretch.
He then flopped down and pulled the covers over himself.
Oliver grinned and patted him on the head." Night kid."
"Night daddy."

Oliver stood up and walked over to the door. He looked back and turned off the lights and smiled soberly before walking out and gently closed the door behind him.