Wattpad Original
There are 70 more free parts

sorrow

noun ~ a feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment or misfortune

After spending way too long with Pollux, I eventually excused myself and wandered down the halls to the office. The doors were shut tight but I could sense Phoenix inside, talking to someone. Pushing the door open with a gentle knock, I saw the back of a familiar brunette slouched in a chair.

"Charlie." I breathed.

His side profile became visible as he stared at me out of the peripheral part of his vision. His eyes were reddened, cheeks sunken with a frown on his face.

"What's wrong?" I wondered, coming to squat beside him.

Phoenix had gone silent, watching the exchange with pursed lips. He was concerned, I could see it in the way he leaned forwards, his eyebrows drawn together. Charlie sighed, dropping his head to stare at his lap.

"She can't have children." He mumbled.

I reached out my hand to take his, gripping it tightly as I tried to peer at him. I felt an awful lot like my mother right now, the thought making me smile.

I inhaled sharply, staring down at our hands. "Did Kate find out why?"

He shrugged, running his tongue along his teeth. "Something happened to her maybe before she hit puberty and it fucked everything up in there."

Not the description I was hoping for, but I could work with it.

"I'm sorry Charlie," I murmured.

His head raised and his eyes sliced into mine, he studied me as I stared at him, his chocolate brown eyes dull. My heart ached for him, it truly did.

"I've told him to take the day off but he refuses." Phoenix interrupted.

I glanced at him curiously, pulling myself to my feet. "Perhaps working will take his mind off it?"

Phoenix nodded a slight shrug of his shoulders. Good job I was here because he really was rubbish with other's emotions too. The thought made a laugh escape my lips to which he raised an eyebrow but I shook his wonder away.

Turning my attention back to Charlie, I found him staring at my stomach. The height difference of my standing put him at a similar level to my abdomen in the low chair. I cleared my throat, awkwardly playing with the hem of my shirt.

"At least I get to be an uncle." He forced a smile.

I sighed. "Charlie, you can still grieve. It's a huge thing to not be able to have a baby, but maybe your baby will come. You never know."

He didn't react, his eyes lifting to meet mine as they collided once more. Suddenly, his head fell forwards and in surprise, I caught it between my palms. His forehead rested on my stomach, his arms drooping towards the floor between his knees. Phoenix tensed, about to react as per his protectiveness of the bump, but I shook my head at him. Charlie let out a shaky sigh that had my heart aching with sorrow, Celimene rose, urging me to comfort him.

"It's only been a few hours," I spoke softly, running my hand through his hair. "You have a lifetime together, remember that."

"I know, I know." He breathed. "We've just got started being together and this feels like a massive knife has been stabbed in the middle of it. Chopped it right in half and said you can't go any further or you'll lose your finger."

'Such a way with words, this man.' Cel mused.

"Perhaps you should go talk to her. I know she's locked up in her room and your Luna-ness will bring her out of her shell again." He added.