Chapter 6

Chapter 6: A Change of Heart

-Chase-
I couldn't sleep. When I got home, I sat on the couch with my paws buried in my hands. All of this happening at once. It's awful.

I heard a knock on the door. "Chase, c...can I come in?" asked a voice I know. I walk up to the door and open it.

"Stacy? What are you doing here? You win! You got your revenge! Leave me alone!"

"Actually, I want to apologize for that," she said, "I acted like a bitch. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have cheated. I'm sorry for what I unintentionally caused. I hope there's some way for you to forgive me."

"Look," I tell her, "I'm really not in the mood for this. I bet you've seen what happened to Lucas."

She looks down at my right paw. "What happened to your paw?"

"I punched some cement. Nothing too bad."

"May I ask why Lucas was also in the hospital?"

"I put him there. He put Luke in there, so I put him in there." She backs away slowly. "Relax, I'm not going to hurt you. You didn't know this would happen. All you knew was Lucas was going to do something. I still don't see why you did it."

"I just didn't like how it felt to be the one dumped. Look, can I be honest with you? I'd rather do this privately rather than out here."

"Fine, come in." She sits down on the couch. "So what do you have to be honest about."

"The reason I acted the way I did was because as a kid, my mother left us and my father was fairly abusive. He became an alcoholic after she left, which made him even more abusive. I would get beaten for no reason at all. Later after that, his drinking went out of control. A week later, he died in a car crash. Ran the car right off the side of the bridge. I had to fend for myself. It didn't help that I was being tortured throughout school. Eventually, college came around and I thought I would start over. So I became a popular girl. I would act as how they acted and people either wanted to be with me, or they left me alone. Only now do I realize how much of a bitch I was and I apologize for it."

"I would never have assumed you had a troubled past."

"I try to hide it. I don't like it at all.
Occasionally, I would have emotional breakdowns."

"I'm just sick of people trying to take advantage of me. The only people I know of that haven't was Kristina and Luke. Now Luke is in the hospital and I don't know if I could take him on another jog. Lucas really damaged him."

"You gave Lucas a dislocated jaw, bruised back, and a slight concussion."

"I could have killed him if I wanted to. How well would that benefit me? Sorry for your past and I appreciate you trying to apologize for your behavior. May I get some rest for tomorrow's game."

"Yeah, sure. I'll leave you be." Kristina walked out the door. "Every touchdown you score, score it for Luke," she said as she was shutting the door.

I fall asleep with that thought in my head. Every touchdown you score, score it for Luke.

-Kristina-
I wake up on the couch of the hospital. There was a doctor in the room checking up on Luke. I went to the restroom and looked at myself in the mirror. "Damn I could really use a brush."

"Here you go. Use this," a husky, looks to be in her mid forties.

"Thanks," I reply, "Who are you?"

"What? Am I not allowed to see my own son's boyfriend?"

"So you're Chase's mom?"

"That would be correct."