13th Tea part three

Guo Changcheng hurried through the halls, he was already late. Professor Aendall had specifically stressed that the new results must be submitted today. It was last minute but the deadline was simply unreachable. Which is why he grabbed the papers even before the ink had any chance to dry off and messily ran towards the labs. Turning a corner he got startled by another silhoutte of a person, he squealed loudly and dropped all his scrolls on the floor, his butt hitting the stone tiles hard and flat.

"Are you alright?" A gentle voice sounded from above and Guo Changcheng saw a young magician bend down to help pick everything up.

"Senior Shen Wei!" he got up on all fours and tried to get every piece of paper in sight. "Thank you very much, Assistent Shen Wei! Do you perhaps know if Professor Aendall is in his laboratory?"

Shen Wei nodded. "Yes, he is. Let me help you carry all this. What is it even? A report on purity..." Shen Wei's eyes were already scanning the hastily scribbled papers.

"Yes, that new flower you brought back! It's pretty impressive, Professor has been on my tail for several days to purify the poison as fast as possible. I didn't even sleep for the last two days!" He complained and gestured towards his dark circles.

Shen Wei slightly frowned his brows. What's so important about a "poison" to have to be done in a record time? Besides, the professor even used Xiao Guo, a younger student for such an important-feeling project. He himself was pretty free at the moment and was in fact Professor's right hand man... He got up, holding half of the papers in arms and walked with Guo Changcheng towards the laboratories because he looked like he would definitely trip on the next corner again.

Professor Aendall looked disorganized, right now more than usual. Hearing the sound of footsteps he quickly turned around. "Student Guo, finally...!" He stopped in his words, startled by Guo Changcheng's companion.

"I'm sorry, it took me so long!" Guo Changcheng cried in apology and quickly threw all of his papers on the long desk of the study.

Shen Wei watched professor's reaction that seemed to turn from surprise, to guilt, to secrets pretty clearly as the older man avoided his gaze and in the next moment turned away quickly again.

"Ah, Shen Wei... you're as diligent as ever, helping wherever you can... aren't you still resting after the adventerous trip?"

Somehow, this didn't feel right. Shen Wei frowned his brows. The professor he knew very well exuded some very strange and suspicious behaviour. But why? Was he maybe pressed by a deadline, working for the Military or the nobles? Sometimes, the Academia did get special and secret assignments like this. A poison... However, it most likely not his place to ask and even if he did, there were obvioisly no answers comming, so Shen Wei bowed his head and after handing away his share of the carried notes, he excused himself.

The atmosphere seemed sort of stiff around the Academia but maybe that might have just been his throat closing up at the thought of Zhao Yunlan entering the deadly race. Or was it a premonition? If he knew what was going on, he could understand a bit... and now even Professor Aendall seemed to act weirdly.

On the way to his sleeping quaters, Shen Wei shook his already hurting head with eyes closed. It's just him overthinking. He should relax a bit.

* * *

Even though, he had told this to himself, he still found himself 2 hours later in the Harghdam area looking up at the Griffin Riders' Rock. He could make up silhouette's of Griffin Riders training the first free-fall jump. Was Yunlan also up there? His heart raced up whenever a jump was perfomed. It wasn't just him. The crowds have been gathering on this small plaza and anywhere else with a good view for this spectacular show every night for the past 2 weeks.

You could see the Griffin and his Rider getting ready before suddenly falling the next second and disappearing behind the shapes of the many town buildings. The whole crowd would hold their breath at that moment until the Rider and their Griffin reemerged again above the red roofs.

Soon however, Shen Wei realized, this is only making him more anxious. No, the only thing that can ease his mind before the race is probably to burry himself in as much work as he can. Professor Aendall seemed to have a lot on his plate, even though he acted strangely before, Shen Wei might just offer his help for now.

The idea lifted his spirits a bit and he swiftly headed back to the Academy.

* * *

"What's a Griffin Rider doing here?" A student Shen Wei passed by uttered to his collegue while picking up some scattered books on the ground.

"So arrogant and rude, am I right?" His friend noted, helping him pick everything up. "I think I've seen him before?"

"Isn't he one of the racers? Let's not cheer for him!" raged the first one.

A rude Griffin Rider? That sounded like Yunlan! Did he come to see him before their promised meeting? She Wei quickly passed by the two students and through the long hallway until he noticed a grey coat turning the corner towards the Entchantment study. His pace quickened and he found himself almost running to catch up to the sturdy athletic figure.

However, as he passed by another corner, seeing the long purpleish hair and a slightly hunched back, he realized this man is not his Yunlan. He stopped at the end of the corridor, watching the door on the other side open...

The door to the Enchantment study opened and Professor Aendall welcomed the guest. Then he noticed a figure behind. "Sh-shen Wei... What are you doing back here? I thought... I thought you'd already gone..."

The Griffin Rider turned around to see who's inerrupting them. Seeing Shen Wei, he scowled.

Shen Wei nodded as a greeting but didn't get any polite reaction back.

"Who's this?" The Griffin Rider barked at Proffesor, his right hand sliding down to his sword.

Shen Wei saw the gesture but didn't move an inch.

"Oh! This! This is my student, no one important! Shen Wei, I'm glad you're here actually... here, take Xiao Guo with you and help him take these scrolls back to the library!" Guo Changcheng just resurfaced behind Professor Aendall with a dangerously big pile of scrolls in his arms.

"Of course, Professor." Shen Wei confidently passed by the dangerously looking stranger and took half of the scrolls before calmly leaving with Xiao Guo towards the library.

Don't be mistaken, the hair on the back of his neck were standing up and his instincts screamed to run away as fast as he could. Good thing, Guo was too busy balancing the scrolls so he didn't even notice anything strange about the Military man.

There was something strange going on in the Academy. A Griffin Rider and contestant. A poison being hastily prepared. Professor Aendall acting out of the ordinary and obviously pushing him away. But out of concern for him? Or is some state secret in play? He probably shouldn't ask around, it could put people in jeopardy. Afterall, he trust the Professor enough. He took him in based on his abilities, gave him amazing opportunities. He was a well-known strange but kind innovator and scientist. His family was from a rural village close to the Western Borders, he oftentimes spoke about the field work they are all doing...

* * *

Damn, I was finishing this by tiny pieces... But I think as slow as I update this one, I do indeed somehow better form the plot, I think. Slow but steady... X3

Anyway, sorry for the alte realease, I think I started writting this chapter in June, maybe even sooner... shame on me. XD No Yunlan today (or this year?), sorries!!!