Chapter 12

I've never seen a wolf- or anyone get onto their feet so fast, I stared the muscles that were defined on my mates beautiful chocolate fur.

It seemed as if the air was sucked out of the entire forest, all seemed quiet, I couldn't even hear the breeze move the trees anymore.

Nobody moved, I stayed put on the ground, the greys that mixed into the pelt of the strange wolf didn't move either, I can't say I know them, but I think I've seen her around a few times, she only just turned 17.

I pricked my ears, I could now pick up the breathing of both wolves, it seemed as if a few lifetimes passed before all at once, I jumped into my mates back while both wolves took off.

I managed to get a firm grip on his back, I pinned my ears back as the wind seemed to whip me in the face.

The air was thick with frost, the speed they were running at made it all feel ten times worse.

Almost like a storm of hail.

It seemed impossible to focus on the sounds that were going on around us, the shewolf in front almost looked like a continuously rolling rock, I'd say she'd have the upper hand, knowing the territory, and having lived in snow for years.

But, my mate still managed to follow closely, I felt pretty useless in this situation, the dark wolf began yelping and making noise, to catch someones attention if I'd assume.

I sunk my teeth into my mates fur, and tried pulling it, but he didn't seem bothered, and I couldn't be bothered to bite into his flesh.

Soon I heard six more steps of steps, I growled lowly, I snapped at the back of my mates neck but he just shook his head in response.

I glanced at my packmate running in front of us, my heart felt as if it were being squeezed, I closed my eyes.

I'm sorry for letting you down.

I let go and felt myself fly backwards, pain rushed through my entire body as I hit the ground before rolling back more, I felt weak and powerful as I heard a loud snap followed by a defeated yowl.

She was dead.

And I let it happen

My body felt painful, I stumbled a bit as I forced myself to my paws, this wolf was taking too much of a toll on me.

No matter what happened in the future, we'd always be ten thousand miles apart, even if we were right next to each other.

I was too tired to care as I heard the familiar pawsteps of my mate approach, I didn't care.

I couldn't care.

And I also couldn't care when I felt his grab onto my neck and start dragging me away, my legs felt numb from the cold ground by the time he stopped, I realized we had left my territory quite some time ago.

He shifted and tossed one a pair of basketball shorts, for a moment I wondered if he came here often enough to bring clothes here, but only for a moment.

A soft river ran by, it was dark by now, he sat down next to me.

"Aren't you going to shift?" I didn't reply, he sat there for a few seconds, "Are you upset?" I flicked my ear in response, "You know I had to get rid of her right? It's not all my fault."

But it was his fault, he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

He shouldn't have been here in the first place.

He ran his large hand across my pelt, my stomach flinched, there really was no good option for me, he offered me a large pair of clothes, I didn't take them.