Prologue

I stopped running once I reached the large river that sat in the middle of the woods, I glanced down at the frozen river to see the brown eyes of my grey and white wolf looking back.

I plopped down trying to catch my breath.

I pricked my ears as I heard footsteps quickly approaching, I rolled over onto my back hoping my white underbelly would be more unnoticeable in the snow.

A medium sized light sandy grey wolf approached, a raggedy brown bookbag hung from its jaws, it growled lowly.

I heard bones crack as they began to shift into their human form,

"You cheated!" my friend, Bernie, snapped, he took a quick look around like he was confused, then he looked down.

"I can see you dumbass, you're not smart." Bernie huffed taking some clothes out of the bag he was carrying with him.

I flipped back onto my paws and shifted, my hair back to its original black color, I dramatically blinked my brown eyes at Bernie before I grabbed my own clothes from Bernie's bag.

Bernie glared at me, the snow seemed to make his blue eyes look lighter than they were, he moved his dirty blonde hair back and looked away.

"Took you a second," I bragged, "You were looking around all scared, like a bitch." I added.

Bernie lifted up the bag and brought it down on my head causing me to rub the spot he hit, "You're a bitch, bitch." I rolled my eyes in response, "Very clever dear." I said in an old lady voice.

I watched Bernie cringe and I had to keep myself from laughing, this month was the first month me and Bernie were able to go out as wolves together.

We had became friends over the fact that we had the same birthday, and about a week ago, we turned 16.

We usually celebrated it together.

"Let's walk back." I suggested, "We have school tomorrow." I didn't also want to mention the fact that it was freezing outside, yet I didn't feel like changing again.

Bernie nodded, I got up and we both started started walking towards home.

I walked into class and sat down, I took a glance at the girl next to me.

Lellien looked at me and smiled, headphones were plugged into her ears, I gave a smile back and quickly looked away.

I liked her.

A lot.

Not only was she my awesome friend, she was very pretty, and her honey colored hair stood out against her toffee skin and her bright brown eyes.

Even though her name was Lellien, she made sure everyone called her Lexi.

She said her real name sounds like an off brand Lillian.

Sometimes I wonder if Lexi is any better.

I heard the seat on my other side shift as Bernie sat next to me, he look once glance at me and gagged.

"You're gonna burn a hole in her head the way you're staring." Bernie whispered, I lifted my foot and kicked Bernie out of his seat.

"Bernie!" the teacher snapped, "Class is about to start, stop acting up."

I tried my best not to laugh as people snickered around the classroom, Bernie glared at me again.

"You're so dead. " he huffed as he got back into his seat, but I saw a smile creep up onto his face.

I sat through class not paying attention to anything, I continuously thought about what would happen in two years.

I'd turn 18.

Which means I'd be able to find my mate.

I felt my face grow hot, it would be nice if me and Lexi just happened to be mates by chance, I wonder if I can feel the bond early.

I turned around to see Bernie looking again, he motioned a gag, I rolled my eyes and turned back around.

Once the bell rung, I got up and started walking down the hallway, Bernie stood at my left as Lexi came up on my right, she stretched and let out a dramatic yawn.

I lifted my eyebrow, "What?" she turned her head in my direction, "Hmm?" she replied.

I huffed, "You always do that when you have something to say" I heard Bernie click his tongue, "Yes, very predictable."

Lexi snorted, "Fine fine, if you reaaaaallllllly must know-" she started, "We don't." Bernie replied, I elbowed him as Lexi glared before continuing.

She glanced around as if she the biggest secret to tell us, then she leaned in, "I'm leaving!" she whispered.

I saw Bernie frown, "Why?" he asked, Lexi smiled proudly before answering, "Because I signed up for a program for better education and they let me in."

Now I frowned, "That's great but, where are you moving to?" she stopped in front of her class, "That's the best part, somewhere hot." she giggled, then her smile softened, "I won't be gone forever, just a few years, I'll be back for you guys, promise. "

She waved before walking into her class, "Well there goes your chance." Bernie said, I smacked his arm, "Hush, she said she's coming back." I answered, but I still felt nervous.

Bernie rolled his eyes, "Yuck." I didn't reply for a few moments, "I hope me and her are going to be mates when she comes back."

Bernie pat my back, "I hope you get mated with the ugliest, snobbiest, most selfish wolf in the universe." he smiled.

I rolled my eyes, "And you're gonna be mates with a fish."