A Surprise

Teal's mouth dropped open. The Emperor chuckled and rubbed his hands over Teal's shoulders and then, up and down his arms. Teal glanced at Jale. He was watching quietly from where he stood.

"Him and me?" Teal asked, pointing to Jale. He looked over his shoulder at the Emperor towering above him.

"If you desire," the Emperor said, his hands giving Teal a firm, encouraging squeeze.

Teal blinked and looked back to Jale. "Did you know about this?"

"Yes," Jale answered. "And I'll admit that I also had a hand in it." Jale's expression remained calm, simple and open. "When the Emperor asked me what I wanted as a Midsummer Festival gift, I told him I wanted you first before anyone else, including him." Jale looked at the Emperor, and his eyes filled with emotion. "He said yes."

Teal swallowed, trying to move the lump in the back of his throat.

"Jale has been with me for a long time," the Emperor said. "He does not enjoy the company of the other consorts. By his choice, he only lays with me. I thought he made a fair ask. But first, I wanted to see if you would be loyal to me and willing to be with me."

The Emperor turned Teal to face him and leaned down so their faces were only inches apart.

"I will enjoy you," he said softly, "no doubt about that, but it won't be tonight. I will return tomorrow morning. You are free to leave at any time you want, Teal."

In shock, Teal couldn't reciprocate the gentle kiss the Emperor then placed on his lips. The Emperor pulled back, gave one last look at Jale where something unspoken was shared between them, and then, Teal was left standing in the little alcove with Jale alone.

Stunned, trying to process what had just occurred, Teal couldn't speak.

"Can I offer you a drink?" Jale asked. "I can see that you are quite surprised." He waved to the servant behind him, and the servant instantly sprang into action.

"Yes," Teal managed.

"Yes, to the drink or to being surprised?" Jale pondered with amusement.

Teal floundered. "To both."

Jale chuckled. "Are you bothered or displeased with my request?"

Teal took a moment to respond before he shook his head. "No, just, this is not what I had prepared myself for." Teal paused again, and Jale tilted his head as if he was expecting Teal to say more, so Teal continued, "I would never expect you to have such sway with the Emperor, and I didn't know you were.... interested?"

Jale glanced at the two cups now filled with wine on the table. Seeming to change his mind, he turned to Teal instead. "Can I?" he asked, waving to the heavy plate covering Teal's chest.

Teal nodded, and Jale approached. Jale's hand moved to work on the first buckle.

"You'll soon come to realise," Jale said, "that the Emperor is a very understanding man. I have always found you pleasurable to the eye and your company quite amicable. Some of us are just better at hiding our desires than others."

Their eyes met, and Teal shifted under the new scrutiny of Jale's gaze, a scrutiny that held a lot of intent.

"I believe I'm not wrong by saying there is a mutual attraction between us," Jale stated confidently.

Still processing the change in events, Teal remained quiet.

"Hmm," Jale smiled, and he moved behind Teal to allow him to slide the plating over Teal's head. Teal worked with him, and Jale pulled it free revealing Teal's shirt, damp and clinging to his skin. Jale set the plating aside and turned to face Teal again. "I have a feeling the Emperor had you in mind for me from the first moment we..."