Dinner

Jale's tent was large but not flamboyant or excessive in comfort. It had three separate compartments, an entrance to block the cold, one for sleeping, and one for commanding his men or eating his meals. No matter its size and lack of creature comforts, it would have to do for tonight's gathering of three parties now that the wind was ripping through the camp and the snow quickly gathering on the ground.

The atmosphere was tolerable. Prince Rathner, Menelt and Jale had taken up position at the top of the table as was custom in the Keglar Kingdom. Each party's accompanying men had taken residence further down the table and remained quiet and respectable.

Trent, Heole and Brelen, accompanied Jale in the tent. Both Trent and Heole were childhood friends of Jale's. They were extremes in character. Heole was a man of few words but built like a bear where Trent was tall and beanlike and could hold a friendly conversation with even the toughest and stoutest of men. They were also diligent and devoted to their jobs.

A quiet young boy of about twelve also stood behind Brelen looking somewhat uncomfortable with being tasked the duty of helping such important men. The young lad, Jale didn't know too well apart from the fact that he was called Ladet and cousin to his commander in chief, Brelen. What Jale did remember was that he showed much promise and skill in using the bow.

Menelt was accompanied by one other clan member, Weldlan, similar in age and with an appearance that hinted he was just as capable as Menelt to drop a man with one sling of his axe. Prince Rathner was accompanied by a man named Galton. Probably ten years older than the Prince who Jale got the impression, had been sent along on the Emperor's command and not the Prince's due to the fact that the talk between them was minimal and with very little inkling of friendship.

Silence filled the tent currently, Netle had prepared a feast and nothing spurred a man's appetite than after a long journey and a long day in the cold. The smell of the fresh, warm meat stew with winter vegetables flavored by the herbs from the surrounding forest, permeated every corner of Jale's tent. The men ate heartily, some already on their second serving. The ale was also plentiful with cups refilled briskly by Ladet and another young soldier who had also been asked to help for the night.

It was a surprise when Menelt broke the silence first. He had taken another large gulp out of his cup and held it high above the table. "True to your word, Prince Jale. I see you have managed to attain more of your kingdom's ale."

"I will have to give you the recipe," Jale said with a smile. "And please, Jale is fine."

"You never fail to please a man," Menelt said.

Jale caught Trent's smirk further down the table and ignored it.

Prince Rathner added. "I have to agree. The Talbecans prefer wine but this is just as satisfying."

"I have never been to Talbec to try," Jale said.

"Me neither," Menelt added.

Prince Rathner leaned forward. "If I had known, I would have brought some as gifts."

"It's fine. Gifts are not necessary," Jale informed him. "The cloaks are a practicality. I fear they will be of little use when you return to Dalenia."

"Nevertheless," Prince Rathner said. "I would be more than happy to introduce you to my father's empire one day in return for this wonderful hospitality. It is truly a wonderful place where you can really indulge."

"You are too kind," Jale responded. He swallowed a mouthful of ale before continuing, "I think we should explain how we have been managing the pass before your arrival."