Beginnings

As soon as Teal had finished eating, Jale adopted a brisk and determined manner. He led Teal down through several corridors of the ship, their destination unknown to Teal.

"We will join the Emperor for a mid-afternoon meal," Jale stated as they walked. "Our journey back to Dalenia will give you time to get used to being in his presence. He will expect that you can hold a decent conversation."

Teal swallowed against the nervous lump that had suddenly appeared in his throat. What would he ever talk about to hold the Emperor's interest?

"But first, you are going to bathe," Jale announced, jarring Teal out of his thoughts. Jale stopped in front of an opened door and pointed for Teal to enter. "Apart from last night, whenever you are in the Emperor's presence you are always to present yourself immaculately. Your clothes must be tidy and clean, and your body bathed and free from any rashes, spots or blemishes."

Jale gave Teal a kind smile.

"The Emperor and I have both served in the imperial army. We know there are few options for bathing on the road, but palace and court life are very different."

Teal stared at Jale's broad shoulders and wondered how much Jale had changed.

"Fortunately, this river holds fresh water and there is ample of it," Jale said.

It was a small room, simple in design but with a tub large enough for a grown man to fully submerse himself. It was an even more luxurious fixture on the ship.

For the next hour, Teal endured being scrubbed and washed by an imperial eunuch who ensured that his hair was free from lice, his body soaped and lathered from head to toe, and his sore muscles massaged. If he had thought that the bathing was uncomfortable, it did nothing to prepare him for Nala and Jale's inspection.

Naked, Teal spent the entire time looking at the ceiling while Jale stood, ink stink in hand, jotting down Nala's comments as she poked and prodded Teal's body. He did not have any qualms with stripping off his clothes when he was in the forests to swim in the lakes near his home. Nor had he ever feared showing his flesh when he was with Cokrin, but it was not a habit of his to stand naked in a room of people and be the object of their full attention.

"Everything looks good. No wounds, scars, or obvious diseases," Nala finally stated. "He will take the weekly reviews?"

"Yes," Jale answered. "Come," he said to Teal. "We need to get you some suitable clothes before we start our first lesson."

A flutter of panic hit his stomach, but Teal didn't say a word. Instead, he turned and followed Jale, ensuring the robe he wrapped around his body covered him suitably.

"I forgot to mention yesterday," Jale began as they walked. "The Emperor prefers that you do not see to your own pleasure in your personal chambers. While it is a matter of opinion on the topic of whether it increases drive, the Emperor prefers self-restraint until he has first laid with you."

Teal stopped short in shock. "Really?"

Jale turned back to him. "Rules are rules! That is what the Emperor desires so that is how it should be."

Jale continued walking, and Teal had to jog to catch up so he didn't miss any more instructions.

"Right, the room you woke up in this morning will be your sleeping quarters while you're on the ship," Jale informed him. "This floor is allocated to all of the people who work closely with the Emperor. Galton, Delba, Nala, and myself all reside on this floor." He stopped in front of another door. "One of the maids is already working on a new set of clothes to ensure that you are always suitably attired."