Chapter 12 ~ Stranded

Willow

Flashback

"I need two people to take these balls back to the equipment closet. You two." Teacher Dunway points in between me and Maddox as we sit on the floor sipping water after a long day of activities.

I point to myself and Mr. Dunway nods as I groan and grab the cart of volleyballs. I see Maddox get up in the corner of my eye. We have known each other for about a week now and he still hasn't been any nicer.

He would push me during class, step on my foot, and annoy the hell out of me when playing a game.

I open the gym door and wheel the cart out. Maddox is swinging the set of keys in his hands as he trails behind me. Finally, we get to the closet and I wait for his slow butt to get to me.

Once he does, he opens the door for me to shove the balls in. Before I know it, I'm being pushed into the closet and the door is being shut.

"Hey! Let me out!" I bang on the door. It's too dark in here for me to see and I left my phone in my backpack which is in my locker.

I hear a whistle and footsteps walking away. I scoff because this is low, even for Maddox. I don't know what could be lurking in here so I don't sit down on the floor, but rather sit in the volleyball cart.

It's uncomfortable but it's getting me through. I don't know how long I have been here, all I can hope for is that it's not long enough to where people lock up the school.

🌿

It's been more than two hours for sure. I start banging on the door as hard as I can hoping that someone will respond.

I stop pounding when I hear footsteps and I say a quick thanks to the Lord. The door handle jiggles and I'm hit with the bright light of the sun. I look in front of me and see Maddox standing in front of me.

"I'm sorry, that was a little too far."

"You think!" I yell at him and get myself out of the cart and push my way past him. "Carter! Please I'm sorry, I was just messing around but then someone stole the keys from my hands and I have been chasing them all around the school for the past hour!"

I don't bother to look back, I just walk to the locker room, grab my things, and leave.

Flashback over

🌿

"So it's only a two hour drive and my aunt offered us a room at her house so we don't have to go stay at a hotel." Maddox lists off the things we need as I go to the dishes in my studio.

"It's not going to be cold, right?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Barely." I give him another nod. "When do we leave?"

"We leave the Thursday before Thanksgiving so that gives us a whole week there." I place the cup in the dishwasher.

"Alright, I got it, now leave." I shoo him off. I just want to get my Sunday chores done. "Alright, fine." He takes his stuff and heads out the door.

I go to lock it but he stays standing there. I give him a look telling him to tell me what's on his mind.

"Thank you again, Willow, it means everything to me." With that, he turns and leaves me. Well, better get back to the big mess that is where I live.

🌿

"Why do you have so many things?" Maddox is loading up the car right now because yes, the day has finally come. Maddox is officially my fake boyfriend and I'm using it to get back at him by making him do boyfriend things.

"Never ask a girl that." I take a sip of my coffee and head to the passenger seat where I have a pillow and a blanket making my spot more comfy. I grab the snacks I bought yesterday. Finally after some time, Maddox gets in the car and starts it up.

"I'm just going to stop by and fill up the tank so it will last us." I nod not really paying him any attention since right now I'm writing bits and pieces to my book.

Did I mention I hate being in a small space with him? He makes me suffocate and I lose my breath. The way that his early morning hair sticks out at the top of his head and the very tiny hoop earrings in his ears make him so much more attractive.

His black painted nails on the steering wheel, his hands being decorated with rings. It makes me so upset that he is that good looking. You would think my dislike for him would blind me from his beauty, but nope.

It just makes him more and more attractive.

"Cater, stop staring at me." I don't hesitate to look away because I can hear the smirk in his voice and I would really rather not right now.

"Are you kidding me!" Maddox suddenly becomes angry. I look at him and see that the gas is running out and we are still a mile away from the gas station.

"Crap." He hits his hand on the steering wheel. I try to keep my calm because I'm internally freaking out. We are out of gas. It's raining. We are in the middle of nowhere. There is barley any service.

I don't want to freak out because that will drive Maddox insane so I keep my cool and try to keep as calm as I can.

I see Maddox getting out of the car lifting the hood to do whatever is it he is doing while I start to take my chance to freak out. I grab my bag and reach for my inhaler so that just in case I lose my breath, I have it on me.

This time, I was actually smart to bring it with me as well as the backup. That doesn't stop me from freaking out though.

I might actually die.