Chapter 4 ~ Bar

Maddox

I can't believe I'm sitting here reading a romance and women's fiction book and I'm enjoying it. I only bought it and signed up for the things she mentioned to get her upset but it just looked like she was having a field day with it.

I can't put this freaking book down though. It keeps getting better and better. This woman is a business woman and hired a new assistant who is an innocent man who fell for her when he first saw her.

And I can't even believe that I'm reading it. I knew I had to read the first chapter for Saturday, but I'm half way through the book.

I sigh as I decide to put the book down and cook some dinner. I made some pizza last night so I guess I'm having leftovers. I called in sick for my hockey practice with my buddy because I was too invested in a book to get my lazy butt up.

I won't ever tell him that though.

Even though she gets on my freaking nerves, I would read a thousand more books if it meant spending my weekend with her.

I called my aunt today and told her about Willow and she laughed and said, "A woman who gets under your skin, makes you the best version of yourself because she is making you work."

Maybe she is right, but I will never put Willow in a position to be with me. I couldn't let her fall for me and then end up with a shattered heart and then me getting my butt beat by a professional hockey player.

It makes me cringe.

🌿

"And that's my opinion Gloria, I think that Stacy should have told Joshua that she was not into him instead of leading on!" I'm in a very heated conversation with an older woman at a book club. I'm the only man here and all these younger women who are trying to grab my attention are very annoying.

"But he deserved it for what he did to her in the past!" Gloria yells. I can hear someone trying to hold in their laughter while trying her best not to snort but it's not working. Willow is on the verge of dying from laughter as she bites her hand from keeping laughing.

"Alright I think that is enough discussion for tonight huh? Let's give our new soldier a round of applause for his amazing opinions!" Willow starts clapping and soon enough low claps are going around the room.

Everyone heads out but I'm still stuck in my chair glued to my book in front of me. I hear a voice telling me that I need to leave or I'm going to get locked in. At this point, I would rather get locked in than face Gloria again.

"I didn't know how passionate you were about this book!" Willow teases as it's now just the two of us and she is doubled over in laughter. I can't help but join in on the laughter. Her laugh is contagious.

"I didn't know I was either." We both fall silent. "Well I better go." I get up from my seat and stop at the door to turn around. "See you later Carter." I walk out without another word and step into my car.

I go to put my book on my dashboard but it's not in my hand. The second I'm about to open my door to go back to get it, a knock on my window comes. Willow stands there with my book and gestures for me to roll down my window.

"Don't forget your book, this week you have to read chapters two through 4." She gives me my book.

"I'm already on chapter seventeen though, but just for you, I will reread those chapters." I wink and her mouth becomes agape. I close my window and backup. She stands still in the parking lot watching me drive off.

🌿

"Excuse me?" My aunt on the other line says as I tell her about my weekend. She breaks into fits of laughter and tells me that she didn't think I was the type of boy to read romance. I almost hung up on her because she wouldn't stop laughing.

"I have to go meet some of the boys for drinks. I will call you later." I grumble not letting her get a word in. I put on my coat and head out the door. I go to this bar across the street from my apartment building with the guys every Saturday night.

Do I enjoy it? No. There's nothing for me there. I don't drink, smoke, or participate in any of those activities. I saw what it does to my dad so I knew that it wasn't good for me. I know that even if I take a sip, I would turn out like him.

I sit at the bar and wait for them as I order a lemon water. Once the guys get here, I watch them drink until they can't stand, knowing that I'm glad I have that self control. It did take me a year though. I would come out here and try to have fun but it didn't work. So I decided to have more fun on the sidelines.

"Dude, you see the girls that just came in?" My buddy Miles pats my other buddy Carl on the back and points to the door.

"Oh good grief." I hit my head on the counter. I look back up to see that the two girls found a table to sit at. One girl that I know specifically, is wearing a black dress that is loose on her. Her friend is half naked but I don't look at her.

Willow could come here in a nightgown and she would be the only one to catch my eye. I can't stop watching her as she laughs and takes a sip of her water. Looks like another thing we have in common.

"Let's go up to them." Miles says but before I can stop them, both are heading over as I sit here watching them, making sure that they don't get any silly ideas because I know that they are ones to hook up and dump.

"Oh heck no." I grumble.