32

THIS CHAPTER IS 16+! If you are under 16, read with caution! 

Trigger Warning: Talk of Addiction, drug use, remembrance of abuse and suicidal thoughts

This whole chapter is about Leighton hitting one year sober, keep that in mind for your own personal triggers with recovery! 

There is A LOT of drug talk in these! Please use your own judgment when reading!

*Leighton's POV*

Waking up and seeing the date on my phone that read July 13th 2020, felt surreal.

I was officially one year sober.

God that feels weird.

The first thing I did this morning was take a screenshot of my 12 steps app showing that I was one year, and then I clicked the text from Aaliyah that read 

HAPPY ONE YEAR BITCH! YOU FUCKING DID IT!
I'M SO PROUD!

Causing me to smile.

I did it.

I accomplished something that felt so out of reach.

I got out of bed, and I was hit with a huge wave of Deja Vu.

I walked to my bathroom, memories of me this very morning a year earlier playing around in my psyche.

I was high.

I was higher than high.

I remember inhaling the weed and whatever else was mixed in it that night, walking out the door to head towards my job.

Stephen told me to have a good day and to be safe... 

I walked into work and went through the motions, before it was time to check out and I was going to head over to my friend Haden's house. 

When I arrived at Haden's house, there were a bunch of people there doing all sorts of drugs. Shooting, snorting, crushing...

"Hey Leigh! What can I get you?" Amber asked, holding a bong in her hand.

"Um... whatever"

"We got coke? Want some?" She asked and I felt myself hesitate for a moment, until I remembered everything happening at home.

They kicked me out.

They don't care about me, or what I'm doing.

"Um, sure" I followed her over towards the table and they had a few lines of coke ready.

I watched one of my friends snort it before it was my turn.

I felt nervous.

Nervous, because I have never done anything like this. 

I always inhaled it. 

You earned this.

You deserve this.

It's worth it.

Worth the high, worth the feeling of being numb.

Do it.

I leaned down and I snorted the cocaine

I stepped into the shower, the warm water washing away the horrible memories.

That was until I closed my eyes...

"It's just a little wine Leigh, c'mon!" Haden egged on, but I shook my head, feeling my phone buzz.