48

"Come on!" Yeonseo exclaimed as she pulled Jungwon to the library. The nobleman obeyed her and let her pull him around. He smiled at how happy her wife was and chuckled to himself.

The doors to the library were opened by the maids. Jungwon looked at his wife with pure confusion, seeing an unknown man with a canvas and paints. He examined the paintbrushes and gave a hesitant glance at the painter.

"I had called for a painter! We're going to get our portraits painted today," the princess said before smiling at the painter.

"It is nice to meet you, my lord," the man greeted the nobleman, bowing to give him respect. "Why are we doing this, Yeonseo?" Jungwon frowned.

"We have to! Our kids are going to see the portraits in the future. And what if they want to tell their kids about us? If we don't have a portrait together, our grandkids will have no idea who we are."

The said nobleman chuckled at her explanation and ruffled her hair, "Fine."

"Yah! Don't do that! I got my hair done for hours for this portrait painting," she scolded and grabbed his hand and brought him to the seats that were ready for them.

"Wait! You have to get your portrait done first. I'll go next."

"We're doing it together. You're sitting next to me."

"What? You can do that? I thought only one person can be in a portrait. Especially since you're a princess, Yeonseo."

"Trust me, my lord. I was also confused and surprised at Her Highness's sudden request. But when I think about it again, it's not a bad idea. Please, join Her Highness, my lord."

He gave in and sat on a chair next to hers. She brought his hand closer to her and said, "You can start painting."

The painter grinned and picked up a paintbrush, "Don't move and smile, Your Highness, my lord."

Jungwon turned to glance at his wife next to him one last time before facing the painter, putting on a soft smile.

🌷

Jungwon chuckled as he admired the portrait. Yeonseo was smiling happily as she held his hand. He had a soft smile and had his head tilted towards hers. They both looked very happy with each other.

He was sure they were the first couple to have a portrait together. Yeonseo entered their shared bedroom and brought in two cups of chamomile tea.

"You've been staring at the painting for a while now."

"How can I not? My wife looks very angelic in here."

She sat next to him and rested her head against his shoulder. "It would be nice if Yeongwon was between us in the painting."

"He would smile and giggle. And that'll make our smiles even wider and happier."

Her heart softened at his words. He kissed her head and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Suddenly, he felt something painful in his chest. He breathed in and out heavily and pulled away from her.

She immediately took the medicine from the table and rushed toward him, "It's time for your medicine! How could I forget that?"

He chuckled and ate the medicine with the chamomile tea, "It's fine."

"You should rest," she said and helped him lie down. She brought the blanket up to his chest and watched as he stared at the ceiling for a few minutes.

"If the death of Heejin and Yeongwon didn't happen, what do you think will happen in the future?" He asked out of the blue.

She thought for a while, "I think Sunoo and Heejin would adopt Yeongwon so that he could be the heir to the kingdom. And then, Yeongwon would grow up into a very popular crowned prince since he has your looks. He'll be one of the smartest princes since he'll have my smart genes."

"Yah! I'm smart too."

"No, you're not."

He rolled his eyes, "I wasn't the one blabbering nonsense and scolding people around."

"That was before! You married me anyway."

He scoffed, "Yes, why did you make me fall in love with you? I should've let you get hit with the carriage before."

They both laughed and stared at each other for a while. She leaned in for a kiss and let him bury his fingers into her hair. He held her head gently as he deepened the kiss.

She pulled away and rested her head on his chest, hugging him tightly. "I'm glad that we fought when we first met. I don't think we'll ever fall for each other if we parted our ways without holding any resentments or something."

"I fell for you harder when you saved me during the war with the West Kingdom. My heart fluttered when you caressed my cheek to make sure that I'm okay," his voice softened.

She heard how his heartbeat was racing as if he was nervous confessing all the sweet things. She saw him blush while looking away and chuckled.

"You are the best person I've ever met, Jungwon. And I will always love you even in another life. I hope we meet again in the future. And I hope we have kids together. Maybe a future Yeongwon? And there will be no deaths and sad endings ever again."

She heard no response. Her eyes widened when she also couldn't hear the sound of his soft heartbeat. She sat up and saw that her husband was already fast asleep.

She touched his hand and felt it being cold. Too cold.

She put her finger near his nose and felt nothing. He wasn't breathing. She got away from the bed and cupped her mouth in shock, trying to suppress her tears.

"Jungwon-ah," her voice trembled.