Chapter Seventeen - "Bracken Tells A Tale"

[I apologize if the writing of this chapter is a bit distracted. I've been having a hard time writing lately.]

Kendra tapped the ends of her knees with the tips of her fingers, slightly expressing the anxious energy running through her. She didn't want to be sitting where she was right now, in grandpa's office listening to everyone come up with blank theories. Kendra wanted to walk out the front door weather she had all the information she needed or not.

Though there was a lot of bickering, Kendra and her family were supposed to be listen to Bracken. But no one was letting him open his mouth long enough to speak. They were all fighting and worrying about how they've waited too long to take action.

Kendra had to agree though. She won't even hide the fact that she and her family have spent too many days just sitting and questioning. Just like anything else, this new problem of theirs was difficult. And sometimes, you just need to... Jump into action blindly, like Seth did.

Kendra mentally slapped herself. That was part of the issue! Seth normally made the first, dumb move and it got them all going. His actions took them to the right places, got them the right things, everything. Now that he wasn't here, no one knew what they should do because no one was dumb enough to do what should be done!

Dumb...

Kendra guessed she couldn't call Seth's actions dumb anymore. Well, yes she could. There were some things he did that he shouldn't have done. Some things he could have found a better way of doing.

She looked up from her knees and saw her dad and grandfather arguing. Kendra swallowed. "Guys, I think I get it now," She said. A small needle like feeling started pushing into the middle of her chest as everyone looked to her, her father looking frustrated that his argument with his own dad was stopped.

"Get what?" Bracken asked.

"I know why we're not able to get anything done," She said. "Or rather, why we can't seem to make the right choices to give us what we need. Or- I don't know, just listen."

They looked at her intently, awaiting her to continue. "Guys, we seriously need to stop complaining to each other and hesitating about things. My brother has been gone for weeks now, but we still don't know where to look." She glanced at Warren with a pleading looked. "Well, sort of."

Warren looked back at her for a moment, then sighed. "Not too long ago, Tanu, Dale, Vanessa and I took Kendra to see the singing sisters."

"What!?" Grandpa shouted, his voice ringing through the study.

"I didn't let her go in alone," Warren amended. "But we wanted to know if they had Seth, or if they knew something about his whereabouts. All of the evidence we had from the start pointed toward them in the first place. It only seemed fitting to go visit them."

"And?" Kendra's father pushed.

"They don't have him," Dale said. "But they were able to... uhm..."

"What are we allowed to say and not say?" Tanu asked.

Kendra shrugged and looked to Bracken, who listened intently to what little they had to say.

"Top suspect or not, seeing the sisters might not have been a smart idea. Doing so might have made things much worse. What did you guys offer to them?" Grandma Sorenson said.

"That's one of the things I'm positive we are not aloud to say," Warren said matter-of-factly.

"How come?" Mom asked.

Kendra bit the inside of her cheek. How much had Seth been able to reveal at the time? She knew one of the main reasons she and her family knew so much was because Bracken had read her little brother's mind. The singing sisters had specifically told them that they couldn't speak about their conversation. But were they able to tell others about what they had went to know in the first place? Seth had told them about where he had to go in order to get Vasilis, right? Or was she imagining that?