Chapter Six - "The Singing Sisters?"

Seth laid on his side, wrists bound behind his back up. He kept struggling against the wet rope, but it only resulted in pain where his wrists were raw. The dank cell he was in wasn't big, but it was enough to hold him and maybe two other people his size. His body shivered against the stone floor. Its wet coating felt slimy against his bear skin. His jeans and brown shirt were soaked in water from a freezing river he had tripped into while trying to escape. His hair dripped and his breath was ragged. Even though he had gotten a good look outside, he had no idea where he was.

"How do I always get myself into these situations?" Seth mumbled to himself.

He shifted the way he was laying so he could push himself against the wall. With one strong push of his legs, he backed himself into the wall until he was standing.

So fair, he was doing a pretty good job keeping his nerves calm. But every now and then, he would find himself hyperventilating as his body tried to express the panic he refused to let his emotions feel.

Seth had yet to meet his captors. He couldn't tell how long he'd been held against his will. Hours? Maybe a day? There was no way to tell. His escape attempt felt like it had been forever ago. And during his time outside, it was almost pitch black. 

That was the first reason he had tripped into an icy river. Reason number two, was that he couldn't hear anything. When he had fallen in, he was immediately swept off his feet, and his head had been pulled under. Though the memory was fuzzy from being knocked around on the river floor, he remembered the roughness of the water. Any water running that fast had to make sound. But, the only sounds he heard and can still hear, was his own breathing, and the sound of his heart thumping.

Seth stepped blindly around the small cell, tapping his foot around in front of himself to feel for edges. When his foot hit two barriers, but slipped between them with a small nudge, he knew he found the cell door. Just as he was about to kick at the locked door, Seth took a step back as he heard a grunt, and foot steps echoing toward him.

"Great," He whispered to himself. He waited until the steps stopped in front of his cell, and the sound of metal keys pierced the silence.

Rough hands grabbed Seth by the shoulders, and pulled him out of his cell. He didn't say anything as he was guided down a corridor, and shoved up a staircase. Every twist and turn made Seth think he was walking through a maze.

It wasn't long before he was stopped and he heard a door open. Seth winced and jerked his head away as the light coming through the door washed over him. A guard then pushed Seth through the door, and his heart speed up at what he saw.

Large pillars stood tall on each side of the room. Black, and dark purple. The room was lit by candle, and some kind of ball of energy that hung from the high ceiling. Wraiths and goblins were lined up around the room as an audience. Three people in blood-red robes stood at the end of the room, hoods covering their faces.

The guard pushed Seth along until he was a few feet in front of the figures. He was then shoved onto his knees as the guard grabbed a hand full of his hair and forced him to look directly at the hooded people.

A lump rose in Seth's throat. Were they the singing sisters? They didn't look like it. All three of them looked lean, and tall. And their hands weren't linked together. Is it possible they found a way to unlink themselves? Was that even possible? Seth felt himself growing frustrated. Why was this so confusing for him? How come nothing made sense, and everything kept going by so fast?

He wondered what Kendra was doing right about now. Was she looking for him? Would Grandpa even let her if she tried? Was she and the others okay? He pondered about his parents. They had to be freaking out. They must be so confused and worried.