Chapter Two - "An Offer"

Seth swallowed hard as the earie whispers crept into his mind like a snake slithering through a pipe.

My, if it isn't the legendary Seth Sorenson, said a delighted a voice.

Winner Of Wars, Savior Of Light, laughed another, almost mockingly.

The Mistresses will be very proud we made it here, Said the first one.

Oh, the news of the boy will thrill them, conveyed the second.

"Seth, why do we need to hide?" Kendra asked, looking around worriedly.

"What do you want?" Seth said aloud.

Kendra and Warren looked at him with confused and nervous expressions, but he wasn't talking to them.

Ah, he still hears us, said the second voice.

"Of course I still hear you," Seth growled, annoyed by the fact. "I'll repeat; What do you want, and what are you?"

Hey! Exclaimed the first voice. You added to your question.

Seth glared into the air, not really knowing where to look to spot the hosts of the voices.

A new, deeper voice chuckled darkly, sending shivers down Seth's spine. We don't have to answer any questions of yours, Shadow Healer.

Warren cleared his throat. "Seth, why do we need to hide?"

"Well, there's no point in it now," Seth said, looking through the air. "They're already here."

"Who is already here?" Kendra asked. She put and hand his shoulder and eyed him earnestly.

"I don't know that part. I can just hear them," Seth muttered.

No need to try and hide your conversation, Seth Sorenson. The deeper voice stated. We hear your thoughts as clear as the roaring wind.

"Comforting," Seth said sarcastically. He felt a chill run through the room and crawl over his exposed skin like spiders. His whole body shivered at the feeling, and he immediately felt like he wanted to shrink down into nothing. Whatever was in the room with him, his sister, and Warren, it was nothing like he'd ever sensed before.

The voices started to utter words he didn't understand, and Seth started to feel like he was being cornered. He backed up a few steps and folded his arms in protection. He noticed Kendra was no longer moving, hand in the air from having it on his shoulder, and Warren stood opened mouthed, ready to speak, but he was deathly still. The magical fear had froze them in place.

Seth reached out to take Kendra's hand, but something made contact with his chest and he went flying toward the ceiling. He cried out as he smacked into one of the hanging lights and fell down to the floor, painfully landing on his side. Wind picked up around him like a tornado. Enclosing Seth with a circle of strong, gushing wind, the voices started to speak louder then before, and in English this time.

You fear us! said the first voice with excitement. You cower from us.

"I do not!" Seth shouted over the rush of wind.

You do not have to fear us, said the deep voice. Instead, you could join us.

Glasses and plates shattered against the floor. The chairs and table screeched slothfully toward the whirlwind around Seth.

Seth curled up as the ring of wind slowly shrunk around him, making the space between him and the ring smaller. An old, familiar, but unwelcoming feeling surged through Seth like panic. He thought the offerings toward darkness would be over when he was changed into a Shadow Healer. He brings the dead relief now. He doesn't associate with them as a possible commander anymore. He wasn't dark. He wasn't evil.