Chapter Twelve - "Discussion"

Kendra held a hand over her heart. They knew where Seth was now. Well, to some extent. Kendra and her friends knew where he should be located, but they don't know where the preserve itself is.

She was grateful for the information they had gathered. Dale had suggested that they should do research on Luthoplia when they got home. Vanessa and Warren had a small argument about weather they should tell grandpa or not. At the moment, the answer to that was 'no.'

Kendra slumped in her seat. If they were going to do research, they were going to have to break into grandpa's office and snatch a few books. It would take a miracle for them to get away with it without him knowing. Grandpa always had a keen eye for detail. Especially when it was his stuff.

Her mind wondered once again over to the Ettermid. The green, almost transparent stone that could hold a life in it. Kendra pondered about the possibilities of having it with them while looking for Seth. There was not way to tell who or what the life belonged to, but if they could find a way to use the Ettermid against the monster that took her brother, then maybe they could manipulate it into returning him. It was a long shot. And Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't take such a chance without enough confirmation that it would actually work.

But Seth would.

Seth would take the chance. He would find a way to make it work without much thought. There might be bumps along the way, but he always found a way to make it all work out in the end. He lost his memory and still managed to stay away from the enemy! At least, when he got away from the Underking.

Kendra's mind traveled over to something her grandpa had mention before She, Warren, Dale and Vanessa left to the Mississippi. Something about a tree. Grandma Sorenson had been unsettled by the mention. Warren had seemed surprised Grandpa had even suggested it. Maybe she could also do some research on that. She was sure Warren wouldn't mind answering her questions.

Now that Kendra had time to think stuff over, she was going to take advantage of that time. She wanted to lay out everything she has heard and try to put the pieces together. It would be easier if she had her notebooks, sticky-notes and cork board. Then she could write it all down and put it right in front of her. Maybe, once they get home, Kendra can head to her room with a few books on Fablehaven and work some things out.

Kendra started to fantasize about Luthoplia. Would the preserve be full of creatures she's never seen before? Would it be like Fablehaven, or like Wyrmroost? Since Seth was taken by a dark creature that looked like a giant made of inky shadow, wouldn't that mean Luthoplia might be filled with darkness? How come she had never heard of the preserve until the sisters mentioned it? Is it forgotten?

She sighed and blinked until her eyes came back into the real world.  She sat in the middle seat of Warren's car, between Tanu and Vanessa. The drive home was pretty much the same as the drive to the Mississippi, just with more on everyone's minds. She thought about starting a conversation with everyone, but didn't know what to talk about other than the mission at hand. Maybe it would be best if they talked about it anyway. After all, they might be able to come up with a few ideas if they do.

"Hey, guys?" Kendra started.

Vanessa hummed in response. Tanu looked to her. Dale held up a hand to show he heard, and Warren briefly glanced at her in the rearview mirror.

"Anyone have any ideas about the Ettermid?" She asked.

Everyone gave her a negative response.

"Why do you ask?" Tanu said.

"Well, I was just thinking about it, and I thought maybe we could try and add things together by talking about it aloud."

"Didn't we already try that in Stan's office?" Warren asked.

"Well, yes," Kendra said. "But, let's rewind a bid. Seth found the Ettermid after those wind creatures came to see him. It wasn't dropped by the giant monster who took him. Seth had mentioned that he couldn't see what had broken in, but he could hear and feel them. The creatures had caused a whirlwind and broke windows in the prosses. Not the mention the one they broke getting in.

"So, maybe the Ettermid we found had flown in on accident," Kendra suggested. "It could belong to something or someone completely unrelated to our situation."

Dale turned in his seat to face her. "But if it had flown in during the event, that means someone uknown would have had to be there, right?"

"Exactly," Kendra said. "Maybe we could find that thing or person and see if they know anything about what happened. You know, get a new perspective."

"But Fablehaven is out of commission," Warren said. "Both you and Seth told me that everything was gone. And, well, it all looked that way, too."

Kendra slouched in her seat. "Well, maybe we missed something. After all, Seth and I didn't really go venturing out to find anyone."

"Didn't look like it would have been worth it," Warren said.

That was true. The silence in Fablehaven had been ominous enough that going to try and find something moving felt like a waste of time.

"But," Vanessa said, bringing herself into the conversation. "It would make more sense to assume the Ettermid belonged to something other than the anonymous visitors. It doesn't sound like those creatures have hearts to give. They're dark creatures after all. That's a no brainer."

"Fair point," Tanu said. "We'll have to investigate this theory more once we get back. This might be something Stan will be able to handle letting us get into, so we should mention it to him. He might have some more to offer on the subject."

Vanessa and Dale nodded in agreement.

Warren grunted, not really showing appreciation toward the idea, but he didn't object.

"Alright," Kendra said. "Sounds like a plan."