Chapter Fifteen - "Emotional Struggle"

Kendra lazily flipped through her book. She felt like she was doing nothing but wasting time. Sure, the stuff she and been assigned to research was interesting, but it didn't have the same effect as books normally did on her. Instead of the book pulling her into a timeless marathon, the book made her anxious. Restless. The book Tanu had given to her wasn't even all that helpful with their current situation.

Earlier that day, after Kendra and her friends had gotten home, Tanu and Warren had snuck into Grandpa's office and taken a few books and journals that looked promising. Tanu had gleefully handed her "Whispers And Shouts Of Fablehaven," which happened to have pages full of dark creatures that couldn't be see, but could be heard.

Kendra guessed it wasn't completely useless considering they encountered bodiless voices before Seth was taken. But the only thing the book had on them was:

"Whispers.

Voices that have been taken from their host body and cursed to find an owner to serve. They intimidate by controlling the wind and can only communicate to those with dark abilities."

The information wasn't very fruitful.

Kendra snapped the book shut and tossed it onto the end of her bed. Sitting around and waiting for something to come up about Luthoplia was a waste of time. She got off of her bed and went over to her desk. Kendra pulled out her notebook, sticky-notes, red and blue pens, and her cork-board. She laid the board on her desk and then sat down on her chair. She immediately started scribbling down words in her notebook to try and put things together.

'A week and a half ago, Seth and I had discovered the unearthly silence Fablehaven was under. So far, there isn't an answer as to why there doesn't seem to be any life.

Later that same night, some voices came to visit Seth. I can only assume that the voices where whispers. A disembodies voice cursed to serve the darkness. The whispers had offered Seth a chance to be a Shadow Charmer again. Seth had turned them down.'

Kendra wrote on. She mentioned the Ettermid and even drew a small picture of it. She put down information about the singing sisters and the thing that took Seth. She also wrote down the Gasherid Tree, which she had just recently remembered the name of. She hadn't asked Warren about it yet, but she planned to soon enough.

Kendra began writing stuff down on her sticky-notes and placing them in the order they happened. She put 'Luthoplia' down on a pink one and stuck it in the corner, close to 'Gasherid Tree.'

It took a while, but after some sorting out and nagging at her brain, Kendra got everything she could make sense of put on the cork-board. She had everything written down in her notebook as well, so she could pull it out and read it whenever she needed to. Or whenever she needed to add something.

Looking through everything, she felt like she had everything altogether. Now she just had to ask about the Gasherid Tree. Kendra closed her notebook and put in a satchel that was just off to the side. She then tossed the satchel onto her bed, then left the room.

She didn't want to admit it, but the idea of running off and trying to find Seth all by herself was starting grow appealing. She just needed the first step. She needed to know where to go first. Well, the first step was seeing the singing sisters. So maybe what needed to happen was for Kendra to find some form of life in Fablehaven. She could search for Newel and Doren, starting at their shack.

Yeah, that seemed like a good next step. At least, after Kendra asked about the Gasherid Tree.

Kendra walked into the living room, hoping to see Warren there, but the room was empty. She stood there in silence for a moment, listening to the soft ticking of the grandfather clock in the corner. All was quiet except for that one sound. The whole living room felt dull. The window curtains were closed. The lights here off. And Kendra was alone.