Chapter Seven - "First impression"

Kendra sat in the back seat of Warren's car. Dale was in the passenger seat, and Tanu and Vanessa sat on both sides of her. Yup, Kendra was stuck in the middle. But she didn't actually mind too much. According to Warren, they were only twenty minutes away from Mississippi. It wouldn't be long now.

Kendra had managed to find a few things about the singing sisters in Patton's journals. But not much was written. All they knew was that some guy near the sisters could give advice on how to make deals with them. Vanessa had told them that she knows where that guy was, and they were heading there now.

So far, Kendra hasn't been able to keep her mind away from her brother. Anything could be happening to him right now. Was he being tortured for information? Was he locked in a cell with barely any food and water? Was he dead? No, he wasn't dead. If he was supposed to be dead, the giant, dark monster would have killed him on the lawn. She was convinced of that much.

It had been a few days now. It wasn't easy sneaking away from Grandpa Sorenson when he was always trying to give them something to do. Left and right, her grandpa would hand her stacks of books to skim through. He was desperate to find something about what took Seth.

She stopped thinking when Vanessa broke the silence. "Shouldn't be too far now," She said.

Kendra wanted to ask how she knew. After all, it wasn't like Vanessa could see anything. Maybe should could feel it?

"Alright," Warren said.

Kendra rested her head against Vanessa, and Vanessa hummed in acknowledgement. Hopefully, they won't be walking into something too bad.

                                                           ***

Warren and Kendra sat next to each other on a boat, across from an old man. They had gained information about the singing sisters through the old fellow, but the man was hard to crack. The only reason he had agreed to help Kendra was because Vanessa was with them. The old man had mentioned that he remembered her being with Seth, and he had grown to like him.

The old man had told Kendra and Warren that they could turn down all three of the sisters' deals, but only if they had a deal offering of their own that the sisters would like. Kendra silently hopped that if it came down to it, Warren might have something up his sleeve. After all, coming here was his idea.

The boat rowed across the bank, and stopped once they reached the other side.

"Alright," The old man grumbled, stepping out of the boat. "This is where I leave you."

Kendra and Warren climbed out of the boat as well. Kendra stared at the over grown entrance in front of them. Vines, moss, and dead flowers hung off of the frame. It looked both nice, and ominous.

Kendra turned around. She wanted to thank the old man for escorting them, but he was already drifting away in the boat. Kendra shrugged. Bad day?

"Let's get this over with," Warren mutters. He walks over to the door to knock on it.

Right before his hand lands on the door, it opens abruptly. Both him and Kendra step back as a troll steps out. It looks down at them, and grunts. Then it begins to speak, but it sounded like someone gargling mud.

"Um," Kendra interrupted. "We can't understand you."

The troll stopped and grunted again. "My apologize. The last person who was here understood me just fine. I was expecting a similar experience."

Kendra knew he was talking about Seth. After all, who else would have visited the sisters after the war? Everyone knew they were not witches to get tangled up with.

"What is your business here?" The troll asked.

"We want to ask the sisters about a friend of ours. I have reason to believe he knew them pretty well?" Warren said smoothly.

"Who might this be?" The trolled folded his arms.

"I'm afraid that information is for the Singing Sisters only," Warren replied.

Kendra bit the inside of her lip. She didn't want to say anything in case it might mess up their chances, but Warren seemed to be playing this a little too casually.

The troll opened his mouth to speak, but was halted by the powerful voice of three woman. "Let them in." the voices echoed over each other, and toward Warren and Kendra from the inside.

The troll grunted again, and moved out of the way for Kendra and Warren.

Both were hesitant, but walked forward, and through the entrance. The troll closed the door behind them, and started to guide the two down a tunnel full of overgrown vines, with thick, branch-like thorns sticking out of them.

When they reached the other side, three woman stood in a circle, hands fused together. One of the woman's back was to them. The other two looked over at Warren and Kendra with eerie grins.

"My what a surprise!" Said the flabby one.

"A Surprise, indeed," Cackled the short one. "Out of all people I expected to see visit us again; It was not the fairykind girl."

"Oh, so you know who we are?" Kendra asked. She ignored the pit feeling in her stomach that had entered her when the woman laughed.

"Of course we know who you are," Said the one who face away. She turned her neck to look over to shoulder and Kendra and Warren. "I am Wilna."

"I am Berna," The tall one said.

"And I am Orna," Chuckled the short one. "Your brother has met us before."

Wilna shot a glare at Orna, quieting her, then looked back to Kendra and Warren. "Your reasons for being here quite intrigue us, Kendra Sorenson."

Warren cleared his throat. "You know why we're here?"

"We knew the moment you stepped into our home," Berna said.

"We don't have the boy," Orna pouted. "But I sure wish we did."

"Orna!" Wilna and Berna scolded in unison.

Orna squeaked and went silent.

Well this is going to be an interesting conversation, Kendra thought.