Chapter Five - "Warren's Idea"

Kendra held a hand over her mouth in utter shock. She wasn't quite sure what had happened. One moment she was ready with an arrow cocked into her bow, the next she couldn't move as some horrifying beast took Seth away. She had drank the whole bottle of the courage potion. But clearly, one bottle wasn't enough. Kendra couldn't really hear what Seth and the monster were saying to each other, but she hopped the thing didn't take him because he said something to anger it.

Was that really the reinforcement for the voices Seth heard? There was no way they could have prepared for that. What on earth wanted Seth so badly, that they felt the need to send a monster to fetch him?

"What was that?!" Shouted Kendra's father, coming down the attic stairs with her mom. "What just took Seth? How come Marla and I couldn't move? Dad!"

Grandpa turned to face Kendra's dad with a grim expression. "I don't know," He said in the low voice. "But I intend to find out as fast as possible."

"Stan, we can't just stand here," Mom shrieked.

"Well, what do you expect us to do?" Grandpa asked, looking distressed. "Follow it? The thing sunk into the earth like quicksand. There is no following it."

Kendra stepped close to her grandfather. "Grandpa," She said calmly. "Do you think you can find anything on what took Seth?" She tried to come off like she wasn't worried, but she could tell her face was betraying her.

"I'm hoping I might have a book in my study that can explain it," He answered. "If not, we'll have to make a trip to the Gasherid Tree."

"The Gasherid Tree," Warren said, taken back. "That tree isn't standing under the protection of the Fairy Queen anymore. And it hasn't for a really long time."

"I know," Grandpa said. "But if I can't find anything here, the risk of paying the tree a visit is something I'm willing to take."

Dale cleared his throat. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Grandpa said with a curt nod.

"Stan," Ruth chided. "Are you out of your mind?"

Kendra didn't know what the Gasherid Tree was, but from the reactions of her cousins and Grandma, it didn't seem good. It belonged to the Fairy Queen? Well, the retired fairy queen? Or did it belong to the one who recently took back her position?

Kendra rubbed her temples, feeling a headache coming on. "Wait, wait, wait," She mumbled to herself. Her gut was already folding in on itself, and now a headache. She started to feel overwhelmed. Every time something was mentioned, another thing was brought up before questions could be asked. It wasn't like there was time for questions, but they were moving at a pace Kendra couldn't keep up with.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she looked up from rubbing her head.

"Are you alright?" Mom asked, looking searchingly into Kendra's eyes.

She wanted to say yes. After all, this wasn't the first time something took Seth. But that didn't necessarily make it any easier. She also wanted to come off as strong for her parents. This was their first time getting officially involved with the mysterious matters of Fablehaven. She didn't want them to think it was too hard for her. But at the same time, this was her mother.

"Not really," Kendra admitted. "But I'll be okay. This isn't a first for me."

Her mother's eyes saddened. "I know, dear."

Kendra looked to her right, and saw that her dad was talking earnestly with Grandpa and Grandma Sorenson. Warren was speaking with Dale, and Tanu just walked in through the side door.