Chapter 18- Not Perfect

TW: arachnophobia 

"We're taking Hexside's Palismen." Hunter had said, preparing the air-ship for travel.

You'll be fine, he said.

You haven't used your powers, he said.

I'll be here to save you if something goes wrong, he said.

"WAIT WAIT WAIT WAAAAAIIII-" you screamed as you were knocked off the ship.

The wind whipped sharply around you as you tumbled, and you watched as the ship grew smaller and smaller above you.

You saw in slow motion as something attacked it, sending it crashing down near Latissa.

And then you closed your eyes, listening to the whistle of the air as you fell.

"At least I won't die," you whispered as the tear of branches scratched at your limbs. 

The ground never came, instead, you landed on something... springy?

You opened your eyes curiously.

"Oh shit." 

You wished you had never opened them.

A large red spider leaned over you, around five times your size.

It peered at you with bulging yellow eyes, licking its lips greedily.

You wriggled, but the web had stuck fast.

"Please fuck off!" you said in a polite tone, gritting your teeth.

It opened its mouth, revealing two sharp fangs that could penetrate your torso and your head at once, most likely crushing the inflicted areas to a pulp.

You shrieked, fighting the web more.

"Piss off! Piss off!" you cursed, still no success.

It eyed you, contemplating where to begin its meal.

This would kill you. This was not down to bad luck, not down to who you were. This would kill you.

"Why'd it have to be a spider!!" you hissed, desperately trying to break the ropey web.

You stopped. You had one choice. You had to use your powers.

Darkness began to pour from your fists, curling around you.

The spider took a slow step back, unsure of what was happening.

Its long spindly legs began to get encased in it.

As your magic reached its head, it let out a high-pitched shriek before it was fully consumed.

"See you in hell, beast," you whispered, clicking your fingers.

Its shape warped from spider to cloud, to nothing.

Now your hands were free, you fetched a dagger from your pocket, cutting yourself from the web.

You dropped down, landing clumsily in the shrubbery below, twisting your ankle.

You winced in pain, gripping it.

"Latissa, he'll be in Latissa," you murmured whilst grimacing.

You didn't want to think about the other possibility. How you had seen the ship go tumbling just as you had done.

You gathered yourself, making sure your mask was on and you were set.

"This mission is not perfect, but salvageable." you said to yourself as you climbed through the thicket, the blurry evening lights of the town guiding you.