Chapter 12- Panic! At The Petrification Ceremony

You dressed the very best you could- full uniform and mask.

After attempting to 'shine' the mask, you came to the conclusion only the green veins were meant to shimmer.

Hunter had gone into the market late the night before to get a 'formal crutch' to aid your walking.

It currently leant against the wall. It was nice enough, slick polished black wood with a handlebar top (to make it more utile). 

You were glad to hear Corvus chapping on the window pane, too, as you knew his presence added to the whole 'Raven Guard' gimmick. 

You slipped on your mask and retrieved the crutch, allowing Corvus to settle on your shoulder.

You hadn't gone to bed until the early hours of the morning- due to your hasty preparations- and so you had accidentally slept in, leaving mere hours till the petrification.

You speed-walked along the halls to Hunter's room. You weren't sure whether he was already up or not, so you were just going to check.

You knocked three times, and stood back; waiting.

You heard a faint crash and an irritated groan, and moments later a sleep deprived head poked out the door.

"Oh! y/n! Titan... what time is it?" he exclaimed, letting you enter.

His hair was ruffled out of position, and the dark crescents under his eyes were darker than usual.

"Nearly past noon... you didn't sleep- did you?" you replied, looking at him in concern.

He roughly took of your mask, squinting at you. "You don't look like you did either,"

You rolled your eyes and took the mask back.

"I had a few hours," you sighed. "Anyway! The ceremony is in a couple of hours, so you need to get your head out the clouds- and fast!" 

He nodded and began carefully rearranging his messy bed.

A wave of awkwardness falling over you, you began putting a stack of discarded books back on his shelf.

"Tomorrow, in celebration of the ceremony, Belos is giving the two of us and a few other scout leaders the day off... I was wondering if you wanted to maybe go to Latissa?" Hunter suggested nervously.

"If you're going, like, then of course." you smiled.

You stood by Hunter, or the Golden Guard as he was known as, on a semi-concealed balcony overlooking the ceremony.

You didn't much enjoy wearing the mask in such stuffy conditions, but you considered it more professional. 

You watched as Eda Clawthorne, in her Owl Beast form, was presented on the podium.

To yours, and everyone else's shock, you watched as her sister, Lilith, and some small demon creature were thrown into the cell along with her.

You looked to Hunter in confusion, but he just shrugged.

You walked to the edge of the balcony, leaning over it and staring at the podium.

Hunter put his hand on your shoulder, easing you back.

"I imagine Lilith tried to prevent her sister's petrification." he whispered.

You felt guilt as the ceremony commenced, the petrification beacon beginning it's work.

She had saved your life. Your life.

Corvus stabbed at your neck.

What was he trying to tell you?

You beckoned him onto your hand.

He looked from you, to the cage, and back to you.

He cawed carefully, slowly, purposefully. "-I.... heeeel-"

I help?

Your eyes widened, slowly coming to terms with what you had discovered.

He had left you where you lay, and found Eda for you.

He had known, somehow, that Eda would take pity- whether or not you were part of the coven.

You leant down to his beak, and whispered under your breath, "You clever bird."

You glanced at Hunter, who had become preoccupied with a scout he was questioning, then turned back to the podium.

You couldn't risk losing your place- it wouldn't be fair on you or Hunter.

But, if there was something you could do! One tiny act that may aid what was unfolding before you.

But no. You knew, no matter how much effort you put into concealing your betrayal, your luck would reveal you.

So you stood, rigid, watching as your saviour was turned to stone.

"How did the scouts not stop them...?" you said, speeding along the corridor with Hunter.

"I don't know. But Belos wants us." he replied.

Though you were expressing deep shock and concern for the escape of Eda Clawthorne, her sister, the human, and their 'pet', inside; you felt relief.

Sure, the Owl Lady had disobeyed the Emperor, but it wasn't like she had done anything deathly bad.

So yeah, you weren't too worried.

"First petrification in three decades and it all goes to shit, huh?" you said.

He shot you a look from behind his mask, but you felt his eyes burn at your skin.

"Perhaps it was Belos' intention. Perhaps he got what he wanted."

"Always does," you sighed.

The meeting had flown by, and you soon found yourself lying on the roof Hunter had shown you, alone, besides Corvus perching beside you.

"So, bird, are you my guardian angel or something?" you mumbled, gazing at the sky.

Corvus chirped.

Does that make me insane?

You watched as Corvus flinched, and your eyes widened.

"Y-you hear it too, bud?"

He tilted his head, cawing.

You rolled your eyes, a small smile creeping across your lips.

"Well, first date tomorrow, ho-ly shit. Think I'll be alright?" you asked absentmindedly.

He gave a small nod.

"You're learning! Now I don't seem half as mad, talking to a bird!" you laughed, putting your palm on your forehead.

Tomorrow, you would forget everything, just for a few hours. Just you, and Hunter.

AGH! sorry this is late out, dudes! 

Hope y'all are great, i sure am!

anyhoo, byeeeeeeee