Chapter 8- Another Excuse

TW: alcohol and mentions of gambling (in a pub) and also vomit...

You walked in silence.

So many thoughts were rushing through your head.

You could tell Hunter was deep in thought too, and you wished you could read his mind.

Corvus had returned to your shoulder, and was gently nibbling at the collar of your shirt.

It was only as you had said it that you'd realised why Belos had sent for you.

Because it was better that a being with the potential to destroy his empire was on his side, rather than with the rogues.

But you decided to let it be- as this was far better than flying by the seat of your pants, struggling for money and food, being sleep deprived, and living in a shabby forgotten shop.

You felt as Hunter's grip become tighter.

You wondered what he felt right now.

You wondered what you felt right now.

You felt differently about Hunter than you did with anyone else.

You had never allowed people to get close.

Those who were 'friends', were just people who took a liking to your cheerful demeanor, whom you saw occasionally.

They would smile and ask how you were, would remark how the sight of you seemed to brighten up the world.

You knew it was never love, or affection. They were being honest. It was hard not to be honest around you- your aura compelled truth, and for people to be open.

You glanced over at him.

His eyes darted away from you, and he blushed.

He had been staring at you.

You kept walking hand in hand, Hunter trying to steal glances.

You made your way to the armoury.

You released your hand from his as you walked in, greeted by the dank smell of sweaty scouts returned from rough-going missions.

Hunter walked over to someone who was dressed in what looked like a superior scout uniform.

"Ahem." he said, standing tall, yet still nowhere as tall as the scout.

His mask sat over his face, and he had pulled up his white hood.

"Yes sir?" the scout asked.

"What it the current location of our next target?" he demanded, gesturing towards you.

"Edward von Myst, sir, escaped late last night. We have reason to believe he is hiding out in a speakeasy, in downtown Bonesbrugh." 

Hunter nodded.

He strode away, and you followed him after nodding in thanks to the scout.

Out in the courtyard, he spun around to face you.

He prepared his staff for flight.

You climbed on behind him, wrapping your arms round his waist.

He tensed up momentarily, before relaxing.

You flew over the palace, and over the forest (which you thankfully did not plummet into).

You landed in Bonesbrugh market.

You walked down one street, it was lined with pubs and restaurants.

Hunter stopped in from of a particularly dingy one.