Chapter 16- A Lie

You watched from a porthole as the crew went about their errands, mopping the deck, checking supplies, adjusting the rigging. 

You could see the human, Luz, building a reputation for herself. Her and her pet began to be accepted as part of the crew; and you couldn't help but feel happy for her.

The ship was nearing the area of sea in which the beast was sighted.

The crew began preparation, assisting each other to get nets and  harpoons ready for use.

Hunter came into the office where you stood, wearing his mask and cloak.

"You slept in." You sighed, giving him a smile.

"Mhm, and you barely slept at all." He replied.

You rubbed your eyes forcefully. You had been up all night trying to read. 

"Oh well," you shrugged.

You were sat in the hammock with your legs crossed, pouring over a book about the different cave formations on the Isles, when you heard a racket coming from the office.

You set the book aside and went into the room.

Hunter stood in full uniform, holding a cage covered in cloth.

"What's in there?" you asked, pointing at it.

"The human's pet." Hunter shrugged.

You nodded. "What're you gonna use it for...?"

"Ransom, maybe?" 

"Clever."

He set the cage on the table, and left the room.

You crouched down so it was at eye-level, and slowly pulled the cloth away.

The creature squealed. "ARGH!"

You jumped at the sudden noise, yet kept the cloth open.

"What are you...?" you asked, peering at it curiously.

"The king of demons! Go away- whoever you are!" it shrieked.

"You? A king? If you're the king of demons then I'm the emperor's left shoe." you laughed.

It gave you a deeply peeved look, before attempting to claw at your gloved hand.

"Oi!" you hissed.

"Hmph. Who are you?" it grunted, before it's eyes widened. "Wait- are you gonna free me!?"

You pursed your lips. "No, I'm not. I'm the, uh, Golden Guard's second in command."

He hissed and began clawing at the cage viciously.

"Look- I'm sorry! I don't want him to hurt you or any of your friends, I swear." you sighed.

He turned around and curled in a tight ball defiantly.

You rolled your eyes and let the cloth fall over the cage.

The ship began to lurch violently, so you stumbled over to the porthole.

Hunter brushed past you, cage in hand.

"I'll be back." he said briefly.

"Shouldn't I come?" 

He shook his head. "Stay on board, you'll be needed."

And so, he left you.

You sat in the captain's chair, brow furrowed.

"The ship was robbed, the human followed in an attempt to apprehend them. With the Selkidomus absent, boss is off to make a deal." the acting captain said from the doorway.

"Dismissed." you sighed.

You just hoped no one would get hurt.

So you waited, flicking absentmindedly through a random book.

It had been minutes and your tiredness already began creeping in. You drifted off into a light sleep.

Slam!

You jerked awake.

Hunter had slammed his mask on the table, a smug look on his face.

"Selkidomus- slayed! And I didn't even have to lift a finger." he grinned.

"W-what did you do?"

He sat down next to you, slipping an arm round your waist and pulling you close to him.

"It was the Owl Lady who robbed the ship. I just threatened them a bit before they conformed," he explained. "We're heading back now."

You leant your head on his shoulder, letting out a nasal sigh. "So no one was hurt?"

"No one except the beast. What's it to you, anyway? They're criminals."

"Oh, just, I more meant you... y'know." you lied.

He blushed. "I'm okay."

As the ship moored at the dock, you and Hunter were once again in full uniform, ready for departure.

It was evening, the sun simmering dimly on the horizon.

You climbed onto the back of his staff, wrapping your arms tightly round his Hunter's waist.

"I think you should rest early. I'll brief the emperor." Hunter said as you flew to the palace.

"Mhm..." you murmured, your head resting on his shoulder. "I am quite tired."

As you arrived at the palace, your consciousness dwindled, and you drifted once again to sleep.

Hunter carefully lifted you into his arms, carrying you like a damsel to your room.

He lay you down gently on your bed, pushing the hair out of your eyes with a smile.

Your eyes opened slowly, and you smiled dreamily.

"Sleep well." he said softly, leaning over you.

You cupped his face in your hands, and he leant down to kiss you.

"I love you." he whispered.

"I love you too..." you mumbled, falling asleep.

You dreamed of that place again. 

You saw a blue-haired girl, standing in the ear of an old giant.

The giant had a low and soft voice. 

He spoke of ancient times, when he was a young giant.

He spoke of how the hills had shifted from when he had been there before.

And how he was waiting, waiting for his love. 

But it had been so long, and he feared she had forgotten him, and left along with all the other giants.

The little girl told him he would be better leaving, and he did so.

She stood and watched, the midnight world illuminated by the tiny pricks of light from dwarven homes.

She returned to her home, and the vision began to fade.

It was a peaceful, undisturbed sleep.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for slow updates, I've been busy over the past week with other things. Thank you so so much for all the interaction; reads, votes, comments, follows. 

I hope you're enjoying the fic so far!