Twenty

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

After five weeks, everything was... simple. Mariposa was becoming less and less awkward, as well as less talkative by the day. She was comforted by those around her, but once they were gone, she would retreat into her little hole in her mind and think. She was slowly succumbing to a foul process.

Elijah approached her on one of those days when she was lost in her thoughts. She crossed her arms and stared out the bedroom window, still in her pajamas. "You're eating less," Elijah stated with distaste.

"I ate a lot last night," Mariposa shrugged.

"You did, indeed. But how can you argue with me when I tell you you puked it all up afterward?"

Mariposa creased her brow slightly. Refusing to look him in the eyes. "It didn't sit right with me." She said this while crossing her arms obstinately.

"Ah. And I'm guessing you didn't like the food the other nights, either? You threw them up in 'hiding'." He began to feel an odd feeling growing inside him after she did not respond to his very true statement. He'd felt a tinge of frustration and anger before, but this was different.

He grabbed her hands and forced her to look at him before he realized what he was doing.

"You can't keep doing this, Mariposa." He said in a stern tone that jolted Mariposa out of her stupor. "If you do, you will become very ill, if you aren't already, and you may die as a result. What do you think- "He shut his eyes. "Do you realize how disheartening that would be for my siblings, myself, and so many others?"

Mariposa had never heard anyone, other than her family, say so many words to her in a single session. Her eyes were wide open as a result of the shock. They then began to fill with tears gradually.

Mariposa couldn't help but smile as Elijah's eyes softened. She had kept her distance from the Mikaelsons over the last few weeks, saying little to no one. She wrapped her arms around his neck and sobbed into his crook.

"I'm not sure... I'm not sure what's wrong with me." Unfortunately, most of her words were muffled. "They say you get better as you go along, but... I only feel like I'm getting worse."

Elijah watched as she wrapped her arms even tighter around his neck and realized, as strange as it may sound to him, she needed comforting. He wrapped his arms around her waist slowly and hesitantly, allowing her to sob into his chest and neck for nearly ten minutes.

During those minutes, Elijah had led her to her bed and allowed her to cry while lying down rather than standing. He sat with his legs out, his back against the headboard, and Mariposa curled up next to him, her head resting on his chest and his arms tightly wrapped around her.

Mariposa stopped sniffing after an hour of him fiddling with a piece of her hair. Elijah realized the only reason it had stopped was that she had dozed off with her arms tightly wrapped around him.