Twelve

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Mariposa just wanted to sit next to Rebekah and blend in. In exchange, she received a book she would never choose to read on her own. It was most likely as old as Rebekah. Or even younger.

"I guess hoping for Huckleberry Finn was a bit much." She muttered as she took a seat next to Rebekah.

Rebekah let out a short, bell-like chuckle. Nonetheless, it drew a few surprised looks from the other students who arrived a little early for class. "Do you like Mark Twain?"

"Yes, I do."

"You act as if you're surprised." Rebekah gave her a teasing smirk that was distracting Mariposa from her thoughts. "What do you read for fun, since you say you do it?"

"I jump around a little. I read some fantasy, some nonfiction, and now and then I'll pick up a book by a comedian." Mariposa replied vaguely, hoping to avoid a discussion about her reading habits.

"Are there no romances?" As she smiled, Rebekah's eyes seemed to sparkle.

"No way, stupid women tripping over themselves to get a man who doesn't respect them. Isn't my cup of tea." Rebekah tilted her head to the side to study Mariposa as she shook her head. Mariposa blushed and returned her attention to the blurb on the back of the novel she had just been given. There was no way Mariposa was going to admit that she also occasionally read internet porn, she hunted for good stories, but they were porn.

Fortunately, the class was about to begin, which put an end to any further discussion on the subject. Mariposa spent the class period trying to speed read the damn thing so she could catch up while the class discussed the novel in front of her.

Mariposa was packing her binder and new book into her backpack after class when she felt something cool and soft wrap around her neck.

She turned to see Rebekah staring at her neck, which could be dangerous, but Rebekah was tying on the trendy scarf she'd been wearing herself.

"You're outfit needed a little something." Rebekah smiled up at her once it was on, and she'd adjusted it. "You can borrow that for the day."

"It looks okay?" She asked doubtfully.

"It helps, but you need to work on your wardrobe." Rebekah shook her head.

"It's on my to-do list, but that list is kind of huge right now," Mariposa admitted and then her eyes widened when the vampire seemed to start to glow from the inside with energy as she started to smile widely.

"I could take you shopping." Rebekah's words were almost easy to predict.

Mariposa sighed. "I don't know if you'd like shopping with me. I heard you're well," Mariposa grimaced. "I am a bargain hunter. I'll spend three hours and come out of the mall with two shirts. No one likes shopping with me."