Two

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The drilling old alarm clock jolted Mariposa awake. It was one of those obnoxious noises you wished you could muffle out with your bare hands.

Regardless, it served its purpose. She awoke with a huge yawn and lay in bed for a few moments. Shivers ran down her spine as she recalled the lovely feeling of a good night's sleep.

With a loud sigh, Mariposa hopped out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready for her day. When she gazed in the mirror, she couldn't believe how lovely she looked. Some could label her as a narcissist.

She would argue that adoring oneself is perfectly acceptable. Despite the fact that she overdoes it.

With the flick of her wrist, Mariposa turns on the bathroom shower. She brushes her teeth while waiting for the shower to heat up.

She enters the shower, the hot water scalding her skin. Mariposa brushes all the knots out with a comb. Mariposa washed the soap dubs from her body. She wraps the cotton towel around her body as she emerges from the shower.

Walking back to her room, she sits on a stool in front of the wardrobe, yanking the wooden doors open. Searching through the many articles of clothing. Finally deciding on flare jeans with a graphic print tank top.

Her mother taught her from an early age to look presentable in any new place they move to, so she knew what to wear for the warm weather of their environment.

Mariposa grasps the comb she took from Brandy's room. She combs through thick and long black hair. Using a clip a friend gave to her at a young age to hold up her hair.

Mariposa gathered her sketchbook and art supplies in her waterproof backpack, her phone, and her black converse, and headed downstairs after hearing Brandy's call.

Pecking Brandy's cheek as she said her goodbyes and wished her luck. Brandy left in her car for work and Mariposa put on her jacket, pulling on her hood as she grabbed her bag. She locked up the house with her keys and made sure the spare was hidden under the eave.

The travel to school was shorter than Mariposa had anticipated, but it was nonetheless unpleasant due to their inability to communicate. Mariposa was usually fine with new people, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was about to happen.

Bonnie was on the phone trying to convince her nothing will happen. She was on the edge of her seat, waiting for something to happen.

As the teenagers lingered, waiting for their friends to arrive. Mariposa's stomach felt like it was fighting itself in expectation for seemingly nothing as she took the first step out of the car. She couldn't think of any legitimate cause for feeling this way, and yet her stomach felt like it was battling itself in anticipation for seemingly nothing.

"You need to acquire your lessons from the front desk," Bonnie murmured through the phone, Mariposa stood there, inhaling in a shaky breath of fresh air that temporarily calmed her sick stomach, "I'll see you at lunch." She then ended the call.

Mariposa made it to the reception without any embarrassing interactions, despite the eyes following her every move.

She walked up to the counter, which was staffed by a huge, blonde-haired woman wearing glasses. "Can I help you?" the woman asked, looking up from the papers on her desk.

"Hello, I'm Mariposa Bennett, here to collect my schedule?"

"Of course," she replied as she rummaged through a jumbled mound of files, pulling out the documents she required. With her finger, she pointed to the papers as she leaned forward. Mariposa steps closer to have a look at the papers.

Mariposa's lessons were reviewed by the woman, who highlighted the best routes on each map with a bright yellow highlighter before issuing her a sheet for her teachers' signatures, which she was to return at the end of the day. "Thank you so much," Mariposa offered her a friendly nod and a quick grin.

No matter how many times she had experienced the first day of school, her heart still went a little faster. Mariposa avoided looking awkward as she swiftly located her locker and dumped out a stack of books she knew she wouldn't need while waiting for the bell. Mariposa was standing there, leaning against the lockers, she could feel a set of eyes on her, scorching into her skin, but she couldn't place where they were coming from.

The first lecture came swiftly, except students staring at her as if she was an animal, but Mariposa lingered a little longer to ensure she'd be among the last to enter the classroom and secure a seat that wasn't already taken. There were only two seats available by the time everyone had barged their way into the room.

She sat next to a guy with brown hair and brown eyes. He appears to be in his late teens, maybe seventeen or eighteen years old, with a really attractive face and a slim and athletic. Tuning out those irksome comments, she stiffly sat down on the desk next to him. She was nibbling on her lower lip, she couldn't quite tell what he was but she knew he was trouble.

"Hey, I'm Stefan Salvatore." His silky voice soothed Mariposa as he extended out his hand for her to shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Stefan." She tested his name from her lips, the corners of Stefan's turning up to rest in a comfortable smile.

Her hand slid into his, fitting perfectly as though they were supposed to unite. As though this was the beginning of something.

A gentle squeeze of Stefan's hand encased, drawing her attention away from his eyes finally, "Mariposa." She finally released her own name.

"That's a beautiful name."

"Thank you, Stefan." Mariposa retracted her hand, embarrassment consuming her as she realized the abnormally long handshake they'd had.

"Good day, everyone! Today we have a new student." He gave them a friendly greeting before moving away to scribble something on the chalkboard. "Mariposa, why don't you tell them a bit about yourself?"

"As he stated, my name is Mariposa."She muttered, "I'm an only child," she said, striving to come up with something fascinating to say to a room full of judging teenagers. "I'm into writing and painting," she said, her eyes fixed on her hands as she fidgeted with her fingers.

She sits with her head in her plan listening to Alaric talk about the lesson for the day, "Mariposa!" Someone whispered-yelled at her.

Mariposa turned slightly in her seat, seeing an old friend of hers, "Hey Elena." She whispered, smiling widely at the brunette.

"I'm glad you finally back. Bonnie, Caroline, and I have missed you."

Mariposa nodded, "It's good to be back as well. I hated moving around all the time, it's nice to be somewhere familiar." She explained.

"Miss Bennett and Miss Gilbert, I'd appreciate it if you pay attention to the lesson."

Mariposa's eyes widen at the confrontation, she nodded and looked back down at her notebook.  When the bell finally rang Mariposa stuffed her notebook and throws her pencil inside her bag. She went to leave but is stopped by someone grabbing her wrist. "Hey, would you like to go to the Mystic Grill with Bonnie, Caroline, and me?"

She turns to met face to face with Elena, "Sure I don't mind."

Exiting the classroom, she headed for her locker. Her pace was rapid, but she came to a halt when she heard someone calling her name.