Nine

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"I understand Rebekah told my family's story. How I upset nature's balance by turning my children into vampires," Esther said this while filling the room with sage to avoid being heard by her family.

"She said you did it to protect them from werewolves," Elena clarified, holding her glass of champagne in one hand and looking over at Esther's grimoire on the table.

"That is correct. They quickly began to feed on human blood, however. They annihilated the town without remorse. Niklaus eventually turned against me "Esther remembered the event as if it had happened yesterday. She was well aware that her children had turned into monsters as a result of her actions.

"How are you going to get rid of him? He is invincible." Elena was perplexed about her role in this and why Esther was telling her.

"It will take time, magic, and your help," Esther explained as she gathered the materials she needed to begin the ritual.

"My children think I'm holding this ball to honor our reunion. But, in reality, I've gathered them to perform a ritual. The first step necessitates the collection of blood from the doppelgänger. It's only a drop. The essence of it will be present in the champagne toast later this evening. Do you want me to do it, or do you want me to do it?" Esther informed us while holding a long, thin knife.

Elena is taken aback, but after a brief moment of thought, she removes her glove and hands, Esther, her finger to prick. Esther quickly pricks it and squeezes the blood into a glass chalice filled with liquid.

"They must all drink at the toast to be linked as one," Esther said as she mixed Elena's blood into the chalice.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"You look ravishing love."

"I would hope so," Mariposa turns around to meet with a smirking Kol, "And thank you for the dress." Kol grasped her hand without even waiting, and he mimicked Finn's previous gesture.

"Ah, you should thank Nik; he was the one who chose the dress; I merely suggested giving you one."

Mariposa sucks her teeth and turns her entire body to face Kol. "Do you buy expensive gifts for every girl you meet?" She says it with a know-it-all grin as she looks up at him.

"You are the only one, love," Kol says as he rubs his thumb over her bottom lip.

"Who gave you the confidence?" she asks, her head thrown back in laughter. "But I do admire you for being so bold," she says as her cheeks slightly redden.

"One of my best qualities," Kol says, smirking at Mariposa's reddened cheeks, " I apologize for leaving so abruptly, but it appears that my family soon will make an announcement." He presses a kiss to the back of her hand and makes his way up the staircase.

Mariposa swiftly averted her gaze, raising her eyes to the crowd gathered on the stairwell. Mariposa gives him a passing glimpse before meeting Klaus. "Uh, if everyone could gather please." Elijah cleared his throat. His siblings were standing behind him on the stairwell.

"Thank you for taking the time to visit with us. It's customary for us to start the evening with a dance whenever my mother gathers our family for an event like this." Elijah happily announces as he looks around the room. "Tonight's selection is a centuries-old waltz, so if you could all find a partner and join us in the ballroom, that would be great."

"May I have the first dance, love?"

"You may," Mariposa says, turning around to see a smirking Klaus looking down at her. Klaus then grabs Mariposa's arm and drags her to the dance floor. She danced with Klaus while looking into one other's eyes. His arm was encircling her waist in a protective grip. He was adamant about not letting go of her.

Klaus repositions his hands around Mariposa's waist and begins to move her hips. "Love, you look stunning tonight." Klaus's head was nestled in the curve of Mariposa's neck, inhaling her aroma.

"Thank you, and I'd like to express my gratitude for the gown as well." She expresses this as she recalls Kol's words.

"Take it as a welcoming gift."

Mariposa laughs at the man before saying, "Do you have a thing for giving out gifts for women?"

"Ah, I see you have talked to Caroline," Klaus smirks amusedly at the young witch.

"Speaking of her, isn't Caroline your date, shouldn't you be dancing with her?" Mariposa asks, bemused. She arches her neck to catch a sight of Caroline, who is already staring at her with a frown. It was already time to swap partners before Klaus could respond.

"Beautiful as always, "Elijah greets with a smile and examines the girl in his arms with interest. He takes a cautious whiff, unsure if he'd made the right observation.

"Not too bad yourself," Mariposa responds, her gaze now fixed on the man.

"I'm glad to see you've come," he says. Elijah spoke in hushed tones, as though scared of driving her away if he talked louder.

Mariposa stares at the vampire admiring his features, "Thank you for inviting me."

"Of course, you've helped us, even though you didn't have to."

"I hope to see you again," Mariposa says as it was time to swap again.

She was spun straight into Stefan's hands, "So I was wondering what you are so special?" He asked in a sultry voice, and Mariposa raised an eyebrow in question. His suspicions grew that she was someone important to the Mikaelsons, but Klaus had already led her to the dancefloor before he could approach her.

"Pardon?" She decided to act dumbly. He leaned closer.

"So what are you to Mikealson's?" He re-sated to which Mariposa laughed and leaned a little bit closer to him.

"That's not your business." She broadly smiled at his dumbfounded look.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Mariposa went outdoors to get some fresh air and to ease my anxiety. She has a nagging suspicion that something isn't quite right and that something dreadful is about to happen.

She had a stroll around the estate before noticing that I was near the horses. Mariposa stood a few feet away from the gorgeous creature, observing him with a loving gaze.

Klaus casually stated from behind her, "You like horses," and she turned her head to him. Mariposa offered him an unintentional half-smile, and he reciprocated. Even though she wasn't cold, he hurriedly threw his tux jacket on her bareback.

"Thank you," Mariposa said, burrowing deeper into the jacket. "Yes, I adore horses. They're magnificent animals. It's incredible how they can interpret people's intentions." He gazed at her as she quietly told him.

"My father hunted me for a thousand years, and the closest he ever came was the day he slaughtered beloved horse." While massaging Mariposa's back, he told her. " As a warning, he cut off his head with the sword."

"That's awful," Mariposa exclaimed, turning her head to meet his gaze.

"I'm glad he's dead," he muttered as he shifted her head back onto his white button-up shoulder. Klaus's face fell as he gazed down at Mariposa "Damon. Matt is with him on the balcony."