Day Nineteen - Itikaf and its Issues

بِسْــــــــــــــــــــــمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيْم

°Itikhaf for Females

The method of i'tikaf for a female is to remain in her designated prayer area (musalla) at home, with the intention to perform i'tikaf for the sake of Allah. She can perform it in the masjid, though it is normally disliked for her to do so.

It is recommended for a woman to practice i'tikaf in a specific place in her house like a quiet room, whenever she is able to do so without neglecting her family duties and other responsibilities. Her prayer mat is like her masjid, so her intention to perform nafl itikaf can be made before she steps on the salah rug.

A woman in hayd (menstruation) according to the Hanafi school, can sit in a designated place of prayer at home, after having made wudu, and make dhikr for the time it takes to pray.

The sunnah i’tikaf is not expected of women who are homemakers and mothers due to the hardship of their duties. However, if a woman is able to make arrangements and her husband agrees, she may perform i’tikaf for the entire 10 days.

The fiqh principle is that, “If something cannot be done completely, it should not be left completely.” Therefore, whenever a female is free of her pressing responsibilities, she can go to her place of worship, intending to do i’tikaf, even if it’s only for a short amount of time.

When she has to do something important, like kitchen duties, shopping, child rearing, or visiting a sick neighbor, she can leave her i’tikaf and return to it when she is able. This kind of i’ikaf is valid, even recommended for a woman in and out of Ramadan.

°Thing to do during Itikaf

When you sit in i'tikaf, you should occupy yourself with worship to Allah SWT such as dhikr, tilawat of the Quran, dua, etc. You should not waste time talking about worldly matters, but you can engage in discussions about the Deen. Ibn Abbas R.A relates that the Prophet PBUH said,

"The person performing i'tikaf remains free from sins, and he is indeed given the same reward as those who do righteous deeds (despite not having done those deeds as a result of having been secluded in the masjid)."

°What you can do during Itikaf:

See to your basic needs such eating, drinking, and talking, but besides sexual relations.

Make voluntary prayers.

Recite the Quran with reflection, contemplation, and fervor.

Remember Allah SWT in all forms.

Gain beneficial knowledge.

Listen to inspiring religious discourse (which is why it is wise to make i’tikaf in a mosque with people of ilm who are good company, and can inspire you towards good).

Take breaks to relax with others as a means of being able to return to your worship with vigor and devotion.

°Important condition that validate your Itikaf:

To make your intention every time you enter the mosque (males) or prayer area (females).

To not be in a state of major ritual impurity (i.e. anything necessitating ghusl).

°How can would itikaf end?

Your i’tikaf ends when you leave the mosque (males) or place of prayer (females). However, during an extended i’tikaf (such as last 10 days of Ramadan), you may leave the mosque or prayer area for:

A necessary ghusl.

To perform wudu.

To use the toilet.

This would only apply if the above facilities are not found within the mosque or prayer area, as leaving for any other reasons will end your i’tikaf.

_________________________________

#Duaoftheday

رَبِّ أَوْزِعْنِي أَنْ أَشْكُرَ نِعْمَتَكَ الَّتِي أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيَّ وَعَلَىٰ وَالِدَيَّ وَأَنْ أَعْمَلَ صَالِحًا تَرْضَاهُ وَأَصْلِحْ لِي فِي ذُرِّيَّتِي ۖ إِنِّي تُبْتُ إِلَيْكَ وَإِنِّي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ.

My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and to do good deeds that please You. Make my offspring righteous; I truly repent to you, and truly I am of those who submit to You. (46:15)

___________________________________

~maryambintisa