Day Ten - Fasting & The Purification of The Soul

﷽‏

The greatest need of our time is for us as believers to return to Allah and focus on purifying our souls (tazkiyat al-nafs).

The root of most of the world’s problems is diseased hearts. Hearts which do not know Allah, hearts which are full of arrogance, greed and selfishness. Hearts which have become corrupted by sins and no longer taste the sweetness of īmān. Hearts torn apart by pride, envy and hatred, resulting in a fractured ummah.

Whilst we have external enemies – the shayāṭīn of the jinn and humans – we have a greater enemy lurking within: the nafs (inner self/ego). Our nafs encourages us to disobey Allah (subḥānahū wa taʿālā) and to give preference to this worldly life.

In an era where we are bombarded with doubts (shubuhāt) and desires (shahawāt), it is even more important that we learn about the nature of our nafs, what purifies it and what beautifies it. Allah (subḥānahū wa taʿālā) says,

قَدْ أَفْلَحَ مَن زَكَّىٰهَا
‎‏ وَقَدْ خَابَ مَن دَسَّىٰهَا

“Successful indeed is the one who purifies their soul, and doomed is the one who corrupts it!” (91:9-10).

The Prophet ﷺ would ask Allah (subḥānahū wa taʿālā) to purify his heart:

اَللّٰهُمَّ آتِ نَفْسِيْ تَقْوَاهَا ، وَزَكِّهَا أَنْتَ خَيْرُ مَنْ زَكَّاهَا ، أَنْتَ وَلِيُّهَا وَمَوْلَاهَا ، اَللّٰهُمَّ إِنِّىْ أَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنْ عِلْمٍ لَّا يَنْفَعُ ، وَمِنْ قَلْبٍ لَّا يَخْشَعُ ، وَمِنْ نَّفْسٍ لَّا تَشْبَعُ ، وَمِنْ دَعْوَةٍ لَّا يُسْتَجَابُ لَهَا.

O Allah, grant my soul taqwā (piety) and purify it, for You are the Best of those who can purify it. You are its Protector and Master. O Allah, I seek Your protection from knowledge which does not benefit, a heart which does not submit, a soul which is not satisfied and a supplication which is not accepted. (Muslim)

The Three Types of Nafs
There are three types of the nafs (inner self):

1. The inciting soul (al-nafs al-ammārah bil-sū’): This is when the nafs commands the person and tells it what to do, and the person willingly obeys. This person is controlled by their nafs, and sins unashamedly.

2. The self-reproaching soul (al-nafs al-lawwāmah): This type of person sins, but then feels shame and blames himself for sinning. This leads him to repent. This type of person is in a constant battle with their nafs.

3. The tranquil soul (al-nafs al-muṭma’innah): This person is content with what Allah has ordained, and finds tranquillity in that which pleases Allah. He desires only good and hates evil.

The nafs is not static. It changes between these states. When we reflect on the purpose of fasting and Ramaḍān, we will realise that one of its key aims is to elevate the soul to its intended station: the tranquil soul.

This is perhaps why in Ramaḍān, many of us feel more at peace, as we sin less and focus on pleasing Allah
____________________________________

~maryambintisa