Day Twelve- Taraaweeh and its Issues {Q&A}

﷽‏

Can I hold the Qur'aan (Mus-haf) while praying Taraaweeh?

It is much BETTER and more preferred that one should NOT be reading from the Qur'aan while praying Taraaweeh, in order to have full concentration and better khushoo' and avoiding excessive movements. 

However, IF reading from the Qur'aan while praying Taraaweeh, gives you better UNDERSTANDING of what the Imaam is reading, (that goes especially for non-Arabic speaking people), and gives you more KHUSHOO' and concentration, then some Ulama allowed holding the Qur'aan and following the recitation of the Imaam. 

It is lawful for both the Imam and the one praying behind him to read from a Mus-haf during Prayers including the Qiyyam (night Prayer). There are many pieces of evidence for this ruling.

The most explicit evidence is the Hadeeth reported by Al-Bukhari from ‘Aa’ishah (RA) which mentions that Thakwaan - ‘Aa’ishah slave - used to pray as her Imam reading from the Mus-haf.

But if one can recite the Quran from memory that is better. As for holding the Mus-haf for the one praying behind the Imam, it is not desirable as it is not reported from any of the Salaf (rightly guided predecessors). Such an act may also cause the praying person to leave the Sunnah of putting the right hand on the left hand on the chest in the prayer, which is a Sunnah.

So what is correct is that there is no problem in reading from the Mus’haf if there is a need for that, and the imām who leads the prayer can recite from the Mus’haf ―or a person can recite from it in Tahajjud at night and there is no harm in that, alhamdulillāh.

As for the obligatory prayers, then it is sufficient that a person recites what is easy for him, alhamdulillāh ―and there is no need to recite from the Mus’haf ―rather he recites in these prayers what is easy for him (from memory).

However, if he recites from the Mus’haf in the Fajr prayer or other prayers, then his prayer is correct. However, alhamdulillāh, there is, by in large, no need for reading from the Mus’haf in the obligatory prayers because he recites what is easy for him (from memory). But, if a person needs to read from the Mus’haf in the Fajr prayer because he has not memorised Surah As-Sajdah and Surah Al-Insān and therefore he reads from the Mus’haf so that he recites these legislated recitals on the morning of Friday [in Fajr], then there is no harm in that, alhamdulillāh.

Furthermore, a small amount of movement in the prayer does not harm it ―it is established that one may prevent a person from crossing in front of him in the prayer. It is also allowed to hold and put down a young child while praying as is reported in the authentic ahādeeth. So, small movements for a need do not harm the prayer.

You can use a Qur’an stand or a coffee table to place your Mus’haf upon as you enter into rukū’ and then pick it up after you get up from the sajdah.

Taraweeh is proven from the Sunnah; it is NOT a bid'ah    

The Taraaweeh prayer is a CONFIRMED SUNNAH of the Prophet (Sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) and the established practice of his Sahaabah.

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) HIMSELF prayed it and led the people as did the Sahaabah, Tabi'een and the great Ulama of the following generations, following his example.

Proof:

Aa'ishah Radhi Allaahu anha said that the Messenger of Allaah (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) prayed one night in the masjid, and the people followed him in prayer. Then he prayed the next night, and many people came. Then they gathered on the third or fourth night, and the Messenger of Allaah (sal Allaahu alaiyhi wa
sallam) did not come out to them.
The next morning he (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) said:
"I saw what you did, and nothing kept me from coming out to you except the fact that I FEARED that it would be made OBLIGATORY for you." And that was in Ramadhaan."
(al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

This proves that praying Taraweeh in congregation is prescribed according to the Sunnah of the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam), but he (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) refrained from doing it continuously because he feared that it might become fardh on me and you.

When the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) passed away, Umar Radhi Allaahu anhu revived this Sunnah since this reservation was no longer there, because the Sharee'ah was established and complete. 

When Ali Radhi Allaahu anhu passed by the masaajid in which there were lamps during the month of Ramadhaan, he said:

'May Allaah illuminate Umar's grave for him as he illuminated our mosques for us." (al-Mughni). 

Any specific duas to be read in between every two or four rakaat?

There is a very common misconception that there are some specific duas (called 'Dua Taraaweeh') to be read in between the rakaat.
You see people reading it and even some masaajid have overhead projectors that highlight and show these duas to the people so that they can read them.

There is NO PROOF in the Sharee'ah for that.

And neither the imam nor those praying behind him should read those duas.

That's because acts of worship are 'tawqeefi' which mean that Ibaadah is governed by the principle that nothing is permitted except that which was prescribed by the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam). 

Constantly doing a particular act of worship at a particular time without any evidence for that from the Sharee'ah comes under the heading of BID’AH or innovation.

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam)  said: "Whoever does an action that is not part of this matter of ours (Islam) will have it rejected."
(al-Bukhaari, Muslim)

Finishing the Qur'aan in Taraaweeh early does NOT mean there's no more Taraaweeh

Some people are under the impression that if they finish the recitation of the Qur'aan early in Ramadhaan, then there's no more Taraaweeh. 

That's absolutely NOT TRUE. 

The main goal in Ramadhaan is to stand in qiyaam at night...every single night, read a lot of Qur'aan and reflect on the ayaat....NOT to quickly finish the Qur'aan from cover to cover whether in five days or ten days or whatever and then the rest of Ramadhaan, you are 'off' from Taraaweeh!

Reading the Qur'aan in Taraaweeh is not a 'chore' or 'burden' that you get off your head. It is to humble yourself before Allaah, get yourself away from the dunya and its glamor and bring yourself back to the reality that one day we have to face our Lord and give account of ourselves.

It is hard to believe that there are masaajid in Pakistan that hold Taraaweeh prayers in the first ten days of Ramadhaan ONLY.
Why?

So that they are 'done' with Taraaweeh and they don't have to pray this beautiful prayer for the rest of the nights of Ramadhaan because they 'finished' the Qur'aan.
Now they can do what they want; relax, shop, have fun, go to sleep... basically go back to their 'pre-Ramadhaan' state!

May Allaah guide us all and enable us to see and realize the real purpose of fasting and qiyaam and enable us to achieve that. Ameen.

And Allaah knows Best.

____________________________________

#Du'aoftheday

~maryambintisa