Day Nine - Saum Has A Unique Reward.

1. Enjoy the ‘Outpourings’ of Allah’s mercy.

The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “Do good all the time, and seek to be recipients of the ‘outpouring’ of Allah’s mercy. Indeed, Allah showers down these (special) ‘outpourings’ of His mercy to whomsoever He wills from His slaves.” (Ṭabarānī)

Although Allah constantly showers His mercy, love and blessings upon us throughout the year, there are certain times of the year wherein He is even more Generous to us.

These are the special seasons, days and moments in which it is even easier to acquire His pleasure, earn His forgiveness and be saved from the Hell-fire. The blessed month of Ramaḍān is one such season when we witness the fruits of Allah’s love and kindness.

2. Take Advantage of Ramadan
There were two companions who embraced Islam. One passed away a year after his companion was martyred. Ṭalḥah b. ʿUbaydillāh saw in his dream that the one who died a year later entered Paradise before his companion. When he shared his amazement at this with the Prophet ﷺ the next morning, the Prophet ﷺ told him: “Did he not fast the month of Ramaḍān after him…?” (Aḥmad 8380)

‘By Allah, if it was said to the people of the grave, ‘make a wish!’ they would wish for one day of Ramadān.’ (Ibn al-Jawzī)

Ramadhan is short, so let us not shorten it further with our negligence. Use it wisely.

3. Gates of Heaven & Hell
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “The month of Ramadān has come to you, a blessed month in which Allah – Exalted and Majestic is He – has obligated (its) fasting upon you. In it the gates of Paradise are opened, the gates of Hell-fire are closed, and the rebellious devils are chained. In it, Allah has a night which is better than a thousand months. Whoever is deprived of its good is truly deprived!” (Nasā’ī 2106)

“Some of the scholars said: ‘This ḥadīth is the basis for congratulating one another for the arrival of Ramaḍān. Why shouldn’t the believer be congratulated when the gates of Paradise have opened? Why shouldn’t the sinner be congratulated when the gates of the Hell-fire have closed? Why shouldn’t the intelligent be congratulated for a time when the devils are chained? How can this time be compared to any other time?’” (Ibn Rajab)

4. ‘O seeker of good, come forward! O seeker of evil, stop!’
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “When it is the first night of the month of Ramadān, the devils and the rebellious jinn are tied up; the doors of Hell-fire are closed, and none of its doors are opened. The doors of Paradise are opened, and none of its doors are closed. A caller calls out: ‘O seeker of good, come forward! O seeker of evil, stop!’ And every night, Allah frees slaves from the Hell-fire.” (Tirmidhī 682)

5. Be Forgiven From Ramadan to Ramadan
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “The five daily prayers, Jumuʿah to Jumuʿah, and Ramaḍān to Ramaḍān expiate for (the sins perpetrated) in between them, so long as one stays away from the major sins.” (Muslim 233c)

“Whoever’s Jumuʿah is safe from evil, his week will be safe from evil. Whoever’s Ramaḍān is safe from evil, his year will be safe from evil. Whoever’s ḥajj is safe from evil, his life will be safe from evil.” (Ibn al-Qayyim)

6. Know This is The Month of Qur’an
Ramaḍān is the month for reciting the Qur’ān. Allah says: “Ramaḍān is the month in which the Qur’ān was revealed – a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the criterion (between right and wrong)…” (2:185)

The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “The scriptures of Ibrāhīm were revealed on the first night of Ramaḍān. The Torah was revealed after six nights of Ramaḍān had passed. The Gospel was revealed after thirteen nights of Ramaḍān had passed. The Qur’ān was revealed after twenty-four nights of Ramaḍān had passed.” (Aḥmad 16984)

7. Realise The Purpose of Fasting

يا أيُّها الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيامُ كَما كُتِبَ عَلى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ
“…Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may attain taqwā (piety and mindfulness of Allah).” (2:183)

Taqwā is to protect yourself from the punishment of Allah by avoiding His prohibitions and implementing His commands.

When we fast, we temporarily make harām on ourselves what is usually halāl (eating, drinking etc). This teaches us to say ‘NO!’ to our nafs and inner desires. This helps our taqwā to grow, making it easier to restrain ourselves from harām throughout the year.

8. Know that Allah Wants Ease For You
أَيَّامًا مَّعْدُودَاتٍ

“(fast for) a limited number of days…” (2:184)

Fasting is obligatory upon us only for a limited number of days (29/30 days). From His mercy, Allah made this amount manageable and easy for us. And even more from His mercy, He made this short amount of time a source of immense blessings.

9. Fasting: A Unique Reward.

The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “Every action of the son of Ādam is multiplied: a good deed receiving a tenfold to seven hundredfold reward. Allah the Mighty and Exalted has said: ‘Except for fasting. It is for Me and I will (personally) reward it; he abandons his desires and food for My sake.’

The fasting person will have two moments of joy: one when he opens his fast, and the other when he will meet his Lord. The unpleasant smell coming out of his mouth is more fragrant to Allah than musk.” (Muslim 1151)

__________________________________

~maryambintisa