II. Draco's Task

August 9th, 1996

"Do it!"

"I—"

"Now!"

"Avada Kedavra!"

"Again!"

"Ah!"

Inconsolable.

The nightmares wouldn't stop. Percy'd had nightmares before but this... this was another level of horrid. Night after night, day after day, he would relive that night; the night he created an orphan just like himself. The night he killed two innocent people, who only wanted to do good in the world. The night he destroyed a family, just like his was destroyed so many years ago.

The news had spread through the Wizarding World like wildfire:

HIGH JUDGE AND HUSBAND FOUND DEAD!

HEAD OF WIZENGAMOT MURDERED IN HOME.

VOLDEMORT STRIKES AT THE HEART OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM!

AMELIA BONES KILLED IN COLD BLOOD!

DEATH EATERS SIGHTED!

BONES TRAGEDY LEAVES ONE SURVIVOR.

Even Harry, who had returned to the Dursley's mere hours before the mission, knew about it and had owled several times with inquiries. 'Didn't you have a mission that night? Were you meant to protect her?' he had written.

Percy didn't answer the owls. He hadn't even read them— Annabeth had.

Annabeth... for the first time since the pit, he saw a look of fear in Annabeth's eyes when she looked at him. She flinched in his presence. She slept on the far opposite end of the bed. She wouldn't let him near her stomach. She didn't mean to —and Percy didn't blame her either— but she couldn't help it. They spoke nothing of it.

And tonight, another nightmare.

"Percy," Annabeth's warm hand on his arm startled him again, "Breathe." He sucked in a breath, heart rate slowing, and felt the familiar wetness on his face. He was crying again.

"I'm sorry," he murmured.

Annabeth frowned, edging closer. She took his hand in her own and gave it a squeeze. "What for?"

"For being this way."

"What way, Percy?"

Percy's eyes burned. "A screw-up."

Surprisingly, Annabeth laughed. "If you're a screw-up, then I'm even more so. I mean, have you met my family?"

Percy smirked slightly. "Which one?"